Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bent cam

bent cam

Hey I just got into bow shooting, I bought a g5 torrent and have been shooting a few weeks, the other day I went to bump up the weight then went to shoot a few arrows. The first shot sounded a little loud, the second shot make a huge whack noise, string frayed in a couple spots, bottom cam bent. I'm not sure if it was from upping the weight, or maybe I didn't knock my arrow right, I'm not sure. Anyway, my question is are the cams replaceable?can anyone supply me with a shop that might be able to fix this situation. I just hope I didn't screw the whole bow up

Thanks for anyhelp

2. Site Sponsor

Re: bent cam

Cams are replaceable of course,,,,I dont know any shops here in BC,,,I hung up my bow when I moved here from Ont 9 years ago.
    There are lots of members here and on BigshotsBC that could tell you where to go though, Im sure

They are replaceable, also sometimes a broken string will cause pressure from the bus cable that makes it appear bent but straightens out when the pressures off. Also if it just a mild bend they can be flattened out. Take it to your bow shop, not ruined but a new string and if needed a cam will run you a couple hundred bucks probably.

Awesome. Hopefully I can get away without spending much more than that. Do you know a good shop I can bring it too. I was going to go to big game archery in Abbotsford but only open saterdays

Buy a new cam on-line. Ditto the string and cable set. Take the whole works to a competent shop. Have them examine the axles, bearings and limbs while the bow is tore down.

Don't try to straighten a bent cam. Unless you know you are doing, don't try to salvage suspect parts. You only have to have one bow blow up in your hands and face to make you realize it's not worth it.

There is no way to increase the weight past what the bow can withstand. Unless a previous owner installed the wrong string or one with a lower strand count than called for.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

If you could tell us where you are we probably could advise you on
    what shop to go to....

Where did you get the bow? New or used? If it's new it will be under warranty unless you dry fired the bow. Sounds to me like a broken knock. You will want to take the whole bow in and possible send it right to G5 Quest so they can fix it, may need new limbs. Where did you string fray? Is the peep still in the string?

Oops thought I metiond it . I'm in Abbotsford. Yeah the bow was new but I've lost my receipt already
    The string is frayed by the "speed bead" and the string came untwisted near the peep sight but not frayed.
    Can I switch cams with any type , I can't find torrent cams, do I need specific weight cams. Bow is 70lbs

Are you positive you had an arrow nocked? I'm not being a smart ass it wouldn't be the first time it had happened.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

As you're in Abbotsford, why not take it to Big Game Archery in Abbotsford.
    Look it up online for the address, phone number, and times the shop is open.