Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: difference between goat and sheep

difference between goat and sheep

Hi all.
    I am new to this forum and new to hunting. Like new as in I have NEVER even fired a firearm ever... yes that much of a newbie. However I am an accomplished mountaineer and fisherman. Ocean fished all up and down our coast and steelhead fished all the main rivers in the province and climbed many of our highest peaks in our province. Anyway Im gonna practice my marksmanship all summer then this fall I am going hike some mountains and look for goat and sheep for fun while Im at it.
    I know I shouldn't be asking for info on my first post but I think this an ok question without stepping on toes. Could anyone gives some differences and similarities to sheep and goat. In terms of habitat, time of rut, etc. any info would be appreciated. Like what features on a mountain if any would lead someone to believe that it looks more goaty or more sheepy. ... or you can just say hi to me instead
    Great forum. Ive learned a lot from you all in this short time.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: difference between goat and sheep

Neither of those hunts are easy! But both very rewarding whether you are successful or not. If I were you I'd start with the range. Welcome to the site.

If you're completely new to hunting especially sheep or goat, make sure you are current on the Limited entry areas and the zones within the MU. You pretty much need a law degree to read and understand the regulations and limited entry synopsis but once you do..... good hunting to you
    " Size doesn't matter 'til the freezer is full!" - Dad

" If you buy a new gun, I get a new kitchen!" - my lovely wife

Sako Finnlight 300 WSM
    Rem 700 CDL 25.06 Rem

Have fun. Perhaps focus on Goats first.

thanks guys. no I totally understand all the leh stuff. just looking to go peak bagging and scouting this summer and I jump from one location to another everyday based on google earth, leh stats and research. But I was interested about the difference between sheep and goat habitat. Because from what I have read it is more or less the same. But (just like in fishing) I'm sure there are subtle nuances that make one area more likely to hold goat over sheep and vice versa. But no biggie it'll be fun to look nonetheless. And yes I will be spending much of the spring and summer at the range.... just in case.

Welcome to the Site ! Both animals are tuff Hunts but it sounds like you are a FIT person Good Luck ! you have a ways to go before shooting one - cheers RJ

LOL aside from their obvious physical differences , the habitat they use can also be different .......or the same.
    There is lots of overlap in the easy feeding areas but when it comes to escape terrain the goat will really turn it up a notch in steep and rugged .
    They can both be found out browsing on the hills and benches , but goats can handle the cliffs better than sheep.
    So for basic simple terms think rocks for sheep and cliffs for goats.

Mountaineer ? you have probably seen goats up close already ?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

There are lots of goats up the sunshine coast and in various hills just east of the LML. Some good area's to go and study the creatures. We can't hunt them in these parts so the finding and watching might be easier than animals that have been hunted?

Welcome and good luck.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

My thoughts on both is that Goats are harder to get to in many cases but Sheep are significantly more difficult to hunt. When you finaly get up to the Goat, there are no official restrictions....other than the hunter code of not taking a nanny. When you finally get to the sheep there are significant restrictions. You may see 20 rams and after days of hiking and stalking, you may never find a legal one. This hunt takes much more patients and personal will.

Keeping your mood and outlook positive is maybe the single hardest thing on any hunt and it will be tested to the max on a sheep hunt.

Welcome to the forum and don't hesitate to ask questions here. Also do a search of the forum before you ask as most everything hunting related has been bantered about many tmes and you will probably find your answers already here.

Happy Hunting!
    " I'm not lost but I don't know where I am"