Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Taking a dog on a backpack sheep hunt

Re: Taking a dog on a backpack sheep hunt

i'm going to be looking at taking my springer this year out with me on some sheep and caribou hunts. He's been getting better at staying behind me while on trail and can't wait for it. Its a lot of fun having them as hunting partners as no matter what there always happy to see you.
    I had a dog growing up and she came everywhere with us from goats, deer, elk, sheep. All about getting them out there and training them on what you want them to do when the time comes.

Awesome thread! I've always been curious about this.

I have been taking my Bouvier Blue on back pack hunts since he was 6 months old. Obedience to stay when told is critical, training should start as young as possible. I have left Blue in camp all day many times and he stays. Sometimes the terrain is too rough and rocky to take him up. At 10 months, I would put a pack on him, but almost no weight, maybe a pound on each side just so he can feel its there. You don't want skeletal issues to develop. You want a guard dog at camp, but not strong prey instincts where he will take off and get into trouble. All in all, a good backpacking dog is the best companion and hunting partner. Many of my hunts are solo with Blue and I have caught myself talking to him like he understands everything, I think he does, but plays dumb, haha. I also owe him for alerting me of a camp intruding black bear and also a tangle with a wounded black bear that would have perforated my behind if it was not for him. The practical time in the bush will be invaluable. Cheers
    "I prefer the pori to the imprisonment of streets, the twinkling stars to lamps, the sigh of the primeval forest to the tramp of thousands of human feet."................James Sutherland

You should ask your dog's breeder about his. As a Lab breeder, I wouldn't want any of my puppy owners having their dog pack weight at 10 months. We are anal about keeping our dogs lean and fit because it is a known fact that carrying extra weight is very hard on developing joints. The terrain you will be hunting at will be sufficiently challenging for a 'teenage' dog who is still growing. Long term health and soundness over short-term glory, IMO.
    ~Erin Lynes & the Eromit Labs

As far as training for a stalk, the approach I use is this. When I am about to make a stalk, I tell him to lay down and stay, them I creep 20-30yds, check things out and ask him to come. Then stay and come and so on. Once he sees that I am stalking, he knows what's up and follows suit. You want him behind you, if he is ahead even a little bit he can't read your body language and signals and you will lose control very easily. You are making the stalk, not him, he should focus on you. Don't worry about noise, dogs are far quieter than us.
    "I prefer the pori to the imprisonment of streets, the twinkling stars to lamps, the sigh of the primeval forest to the tramp of thousands of human feet."................James Sutherland

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

My first lab was with me everywhere when I was in my early twenties and always up
    in the mountains or in the back country. He literally saved my life a couple of times
    mainly because he was highly trained, understood me through daily interaction, and
    absolutely trusted me. He was intact and looked like a tall pit bull he was so muscled
    from constantly climbing and running. He would fiercely defend me or my wife from
    both bears and strangers, yet once introduced he loved people, especially kids.
    Having a dog like him along is better than having another person as far as I'm concerned.

Good queastions and good answers ! I personaly have packed my cheasapeaks sheep/elk hunting , there amazing companion and have never had any issues however , i would be hesitant packing any weight under 1 year old as there cartledge is still soft . i use wilderness wander dog pack on a 90 Lbs cheasapeak for a 14 day backpack trip he gets all his food and some water , as trip progresses his pack stays the same . average 30 lbs , ive packed as much as 45 for an 8 hr hike out . the dog loves it and loves being there. to get them started it was afternoons bugleing bull elk and keeping him calm. when your training him to hike dont let him get off your heels at all times and you will never get the problem of playing like a puppy. this is my 6 th yr packing dogs hes been on 2 stone kills 3 bull elk and a number of moose and bears only advice is get him strong and joints hard before hand or you will have a dog that wont move after age of 5 . cheers

I've seen a few dogs with Bloody Feet from walking on the sharp rocks in the Mtns, My own dog included. Might want to think about Booties for your buddy, and get him used to them before you go. Lots of places are not too bad on their feet, but others are really bad.

RD
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My outdoor vids on Youtube :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/RockDoctor07

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    I've seen a few dogs with Bloody Feet from walking on the sharp rocks in the Mtns, My own dog included. Might want to think about Booties for your buddy, and get him used to them before you go. Lots of places are not too bad on their feet, but others are really bad.

RD
    I think its crucial to train your dog in the mountains before hand. A couch potato dog on a sheep hunt is a disaster waiting to happen.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Your Chessie is a great choice for a companion! Mine's a Lab/Chessie cross. Best dog ever (crazy f***er but yea.... ).
    As I'm sure you know by now they are very independent and strong.
    Don't overload your pooch at first, but I bet you will surprised at how durable these clowns are!

Get his feet toughened up, make him understand that everything that moves isn't something he needs to kill , and I'd maybe (only my opinion) wait one more season, and work with him for a while. You've got a great breed there, and I wouldn't chance any health issues just to bring him along too soon.

Only my $.02