Thread: Spring turkey help

Spring turkey help

After narrowly getting skunked by a flock in the fall I've gotten the turkey itch, basically wondering what kind of pointers I could get for a spring turkey hunt, I managed to find them in a few places but one of them is way too far to go just for a turkey, I know they can be found around rock creek grand forks etc I'm just wondering what sort of habitat I should be looking for come spring time, is it different than in the fall? Should I go all out and do the full cammo, decoy, ground blind or try and road hunt them? Any help would be great, feel free to PM also, thanks, Russ.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring turkey help

Spring and fall hunts are very different.
    In the springs turkeys are looking for "new" food... ...like grass. It is close to the snow line. Good hint there.
    I have found that a week before opening morning the birds are in one area but a week later they have migrated to a totally new area.
    If you can do some scouting a few days before the opener, look for a roosting tree, that's a good start, then find the morning travel route and step up accordingly.
    I find birds from dry...pine covered hills to wet creek bottoms. The old saying "they are where you find them" is very true.
    Good luck & practice your calling !!!

If you need info just PM me.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

My best advice would be listen to the advice given here, I was totally knew to turkey hunting 3 years ago. I asked the questions, went to a turkey calling/ info event at grouse river outfitters and did some scouting. The good people on here like 300H&H, Brez, and BCBrez just to name a few passed on a wealth of knowledge to me and some were even kind enough to show their spots and invite me into their home after a couple days of heavy rain. I owe my experience and techniques to them. Now it's hard for me to get down there for turkey but I'm addicted to it so I will find a way.
    " Size doesn't matter 'til the freezer is full!" - Dad

" If you buy a new gun, I get a new kitchen!" - my lovely wife

Sako Finnlight 300 WSM
    Rem 700 CDL 25.06 Rem

Thanks for the kind words Good Old Outdoors... ...I appreciate it.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc