Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where have all the amimals gone?

Where have all the amimals gone?

After reading on this forum the last bit, one of the questions that has come to the forefront of my thoughts is this. What has caused the population decreases that people talk about in the province? I realize that there are a number of factors, and I would like to hear your opinions on some of the significant factors, and how you feel we should be dealing with these changes. Some thoughts I am sure will be based on science, others on personal observation, but all are welcome.

One thing I see as I drive around the countryside is huge logging blocks, and road access to just about anywhere in the local area. It makes me wonder if habitat management is even on the radar. Economics and viable industry in all sectors is important, but who is in charge of balancing it with conservation, and are they doing it right? Do they have the recourses to do it right? How can we, as individuals help?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Where have all the amimals gone?

Habitat management is the same as the goabc's wild life management plan.......it's all about $$$$$$$$$$........!!!!!!!!!!

habitat loss/access and wolves are the biggest problems

in the big picture, we can't really fix it.
    even if we were to get any #'s up in any areas, the gov would come along eventually and log those areas, put a mine in, or turn it over to goabc.

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    Habitat management is the same as the goabc's wild life management plan.......it's all about $$$$$$$$$$........!!!!!!!!!!

habitat loss/access and wolves are the biggest problems
    I agree, it would be nice if the Ministry of Environment could find a good way of de-activating roads and access once logging a block is completed..this would give certain vulnerable species better chances from not only hunters and FN's but from the preds..

That being said, from my observations, moose in my area seem to be doing ok, and WT seem to be doing very well despite the generous seasons..it would be great if we could do mule deer counts, but from my observation they're doing not bad either..

All just my observations and opinions of course..

From observations in my region the biggest threat to certain wildlife populations is lost of wintering range. There is all kinds of summer range, but the valuable wintering areas are shrinking.

aside from any industry, habitat destruction, or anything else, I think the #1 biggest problem is allowing people to slaughter whatever they want, whenever, simply because of their race.
    and making them exempt from practically every single law there is that every other person HAS to follow or be punished.

longest rifle seasons in North America and during the rut...general open seasons on does....quad hunters with chainsaws...gps....google earth....social media....1275 yard hunting rifles....I guess we can blame the Indians on that too.

Quote Originally Posted by aggiehunter View Post
    longest rifle seasons in North America and during the rut...general open seasons on does....quad hunters with chainsaws...gps....google earth....social media....1275 yard hunting rifles....I guess we can blame the Indians on that too.
    all that combined doesn't do the damage that the Indians do.
    every single one of those you mentioned still has rules and regulations to follow, and quotas also.

we haven't been able to shoot a deer for quite a few weeks now.
    they can go out every day still and shoot a deer to sell for some money to go buy some beer with.
    and that's not racist in any way, it's the damn truth.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I agree, it would be nice if the Ministry of Environment could find a good way of de-activating roads and access once logging a block is completed..this would give certain vulnerable species better chances from not only hunters and FN's but from the preds..
    How could deactivating a road possibly give vulnerable species a better chance from the preds?

I have found it harder to predator hunt with all the de-activations and atv restrictions, as I mainly predator hunt to help the moose out for the day I finally get an LEH (0/Lifetime of LEH Moose in Reg5)