Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Point of impact changing - Compound bow

Re: Point of impact changing - Compound bow

It's probably a slight variation in your grip. Like someone said, it doesn't take much variation to alter poi at 50 yards.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

I have the same issues if I don't shoot regularly, I don't adjust anything and try to shoot regularly for a day or two and it seems to corect itself....

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    I have the same issues if I don't shoot regularly, I don't adjust anything and try to shoot regularly for a day or two and it seems to corect itself....
    Agree....it's likely your anchor point. Something doesn't sound right about your case not closing easily.
    The top (lid) shouldn't be touching anything. Is your stabilizer a bit too long for the case? How much do
    you have stuffed under the foam (ie- tool kit, release, range finder etc.)

what kind of string as well, the first few months cheaper string will stretch a little,
    moose are for people too lazy to hunt elk

Is it worse after a "Scotch Night"?

I doubt it's the bow or attachments. Not sure what bow you have, but PSE has $hitty strings that are susceptible to temperature/moisture change. I doubt you have enough difference in the lower mainland though.

Is the POI change primarily horizontal or vertical?
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

try this if you don't already do it. It helped me immensely. When looking through peep, "halo" the outside of your sight housing, with your peep sight. Now you have 3 points of reference....your anchor point, your string(nose) and your peep, "haloing" the sight housing.
    One more thing ....If I haven't shot for a while...I notice my distant groups suck....then I remember to squeeze the release, not "punch" it.
    Last edited by Riverbc; 02-24-2015 at 02:05 PM.
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

Yes, I do that halo thing Riverbc.

This last time it was horizontal mostly. Ambush

Got to get ready to compete in the Canadian Championships! Pretty excited about just having fun at the event.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    This last time it was horizontal mostly.
    If it is primarily horizontal deviation then I go with hand torque first, or possibly face pressure from slightly changing your head position.

Do you touch the string to your nose tip or the side of your nose? Both are good , but only use one.

When you grip your bow, I find it very useful to hang the bow from your release and then place your hand into the grip. Pull slightly on the release to hold the bow there and then raise the bow to your shooting stance. Consistent grip is everything for pin point target accuracy. Not as important for a ordinary hunter like me.
    Last edited by Ambush; 02-24-2015 at 04:17 PM.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Step 1. As previously mention are the sight and rest secure?
    Step 2 Check clothing for anything that may be catching the string. A collar on a jacket can be an issue and it really messes with your head. Trust me on this one.

Step 3 If you have eliminated 1 & 2 continue practicing,as previously stated, to see if the situation rights itself. if not....

Step 4 Are your groups consistent in size and location? If not it is most likely your form. The question becomes what am I doing differently. The most common cause of horizontal deviation,as mentioned, is grip. Lack of follow through is the first part of my form that goes if I haven't been shooting for awhile and that throws consistency out the window.

Step 5 If your groups are consistently in 1 spot on the target and in the 3 inch range that you mentioned, you may want to make an adjustment to your equipment.

There are a lot of good tips by the members on here. The key to solving any problem is to break it down 1 piece at a time and not get overwhelmed.

Figure out what is putting stress on your case. It should just lay shut. It might be something putting pressure on the limbs or riser or other parts, then maybe it relaxes back to normal after a few shots...