Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Point of impact changing - Compound bow

Point of impact changing - Compound bow

Hey guys,
    Is it normal for the point of impact to change on a compound bow? I have an APA Mamba 34 and a Sure-loc lethal weapon sight. I group an average of 3 inches at 50 yards very consistently. I will put the bow away in the case, and take it out in a couple weeks, and about half the time, my point of impact will have shifted like 2-3 inches. What is going wrong? Is this common with many bows? It seemed to happen occasionally with my last bow also. Although ever component was different. Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Point of impact changing - Compound bow

My only thought would be humidity in the air changing the flight of the arrows? As long as everything on the bow is secure. Just a guess....

Is your POI changing but group size the same? If yes I would say it's an inconsistant anchor. Shooting infrequently can make it challenging to keep a reliable anchor. Only other thing I could think would be something is moving on your sight.
    Quote Originally Posted by elkdom View Post
    magnums can easily turn your brain to mush,, and there is much evidence of that on the internet !

Assuming you've triple checked all the mounting hardware on the sight, rest and stab, and served in your peep, it's probably an inconsistent anchor point. Doesn't take much to move POI 2" at 50y. Usually shooters will use the same anchor in one shooting session but often make small changes if theres time between sessions. Shooting in the same clothing helps reduce changes in posture and grip. Try to create a minimum of three reference points for a solid anchor. Write them down if you have to. At only 300fps it only takes a tiny change to move POI a fair bit (compared to a rifle)
    Last edited by Eastbranch; 02-23-2015 at 11:18 PM.

It's probably just putting the bow down for a few weeks at a time, picking the bow up a different way or drawing it differently, any kind of torque on the bow or in your release hand even will cause you point of impact to change. The problem is when things like this happen, we start messing with things like sights, weights, peeps, releases... When the cause is actually us. The fix?... Shoot more often

Quit moving DUH LOL
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Grip or anchor inconsistency.
    A Pine needle falls. An Eagle sees it. A Deer hears it. A Bear smells it

I do hope its me. I have a peep sight on it, but it is possible its my anchor point. Yes the group size is staying the same, its just moving after a week put away. I wonder if its the hard case crushing it. Its not so easy to close, the foam is definitely pushing in on the bow.
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Shouldnt be hard to close... Bow should be strapped to the bottom half and the lid should lay shut. Do you leave the quiver on your bow?

there is no quiver on the bow.