Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else hunt with a Packraft?

Re: Anyone else hunt with a Packraft?

Been on the radar for a few years. Just waiting for the perfect trip to dive in and make a purchase. I think a place down in chilliwack seems them.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I am really interested in purchasing a packraft after seeing this post, have been looking into them the last few days and think it would be great

It's a good investment for the guys who appreciate how useful these really are. First time I put one to use I thought, "Why didn't I have one of these 10 years ago?"

Also I'd stay away from the NRS packraft unless your budget keeps you away from the Alpacka. They don't handle the rocks too well at all.

I'd probably have to go with a Denali with my height.

BB- do you have the carbon fibre paddle that converts to trekking poles?
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I think I am one model down from SSS. It has been on our radar for a hunt for an adventure.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    I'd probably have to go with a Denali with my height.

BB- do you have the carbon fibre paddle that converts to trekking poles?
    I have the Manta Ray carbon. Been tough as nails so far. That pole/paddle combo isn't really rated for any hard paddling.

I bought an Alpacka and carbon/cedar paddle about 8 years ago and used it a few times. Cool little boat, but I sold it a few years back. I'm planning to replace it with a raft that has a little more payload. Looking at the PR-49 HD. A tad heavier but more boat for sure.

They offer a discount if multiple boats are purchased. Group buy anyone?
    Last edited by StoneChaser; 03-01-2015 at 10:32 PM.
    As long as there's carbon in the air, there's hope!

Used my Denali Llama this year on a fly in. Perfect piece of gear for crossing the lake a quietly looking for moose and caribou. Way easier than bushwacking. If the wind comes up expect some more work to paddle it. Even ferried two grown men across the lake a couple times. That was the edge of the weight I would want in the boat though. Was nose heavy and handled poorly.

I'm not sure what terrain these get into that we can't access in some other (more comfortable) fashion. In alaska they seem to have supercubs on tundra tires that land on a gravel bar and then you paddle out. In bc you get to a high lake and its a long paddle out, or you are still miles from a sheep ot goat or....

I think these would be great for those lake or river crossings like described but I'm not sure where else they really fit. Maybe it's a sweet spot for some hunters who know their area and this helps them get to the otherwise unhunted area.

And besides, you can never have too many boats.....

I just ordered a green base model Alpacka Rafts Denali Llama yesterday from Mt Waddington's Outdoors in Sardis.

Last August I bought and set up a Kawasaki KLX250S dual sport motorcycle for hunting/light weight camping so when I first found out about these boats that weigh max 6lbs a few weeks ago I had to get one.

My brain is now going nuts on all the new to me places I can explore/fish/hunt.

Just think only one - two hours drive from home I have the Chilliwack - Nahatlatch - Skagit - Chehalis - Coquihalla - Fraser rivers not to mention 2 - 3 hours drive or packing into lakes that are everywhere and I have my truck/trailer/motorcycle/boat to get me there = hunting/fishing/packrafting where no one else has easy access.

Here is an example once I spend enough time in the boat to safely run whitewater I can put in at Allison Pool on the Chilliwack River and fish every hard to get to fishing hole all the way down to within 300 yards of my house carry the boat/fish home jump on the motorcycle and head back up to the truck or on the way to the truck do an evening blacktail deer hunt in my favorite spot then to the truck.

For hunting I have super short lightweight single shot T/C Contender carbines with 14" barrels in 45 Colt, 375JDJ & 45-70 for fishing I already have my 4 piece fly rod = I am going to figure out how to securely strap them to the boat so I can hunt/fish as I drift downstream.

I started doing this stuff over 30 years ago but the little rafts I had access to back then sucked so bad that I quit.

Oh yeah to say I am excited about these little boats is an understatement.
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...