Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anyone else hunt with a Packraft?

Re: Anyone else hunt with a Packraft?

Dont forget to check out the Baylee 1 & 2 (made by Feathercraft, used to manufacture all the Alpackas) - can get the self bailer, one heck of a boat and tough as nails. Buy Canadian!

Slightly dubious about the payload(and space) for hunting trips, but I bought a Alpacka Yukon Yak last year for fly fishing the local rivers around me that all have next to no vehicle access. Not much fun on flat water, but I hate lake fishing anyways and they handle moving and white water better than I ever could have believed. I could see myself with a deer/sheep/goat sized animal in it but anything larger is going to require multiple loads.

Wish the rivers around me would clear up some so I could get the raft and my new two-handed rod out chasing some big bull trout.

Quote Originally Posted by bross View Post
    Dont forget to check out the Baylee 1 & 2 (made by Feathercraft, used to manufacture all the Alpackas) - can get the self bailer, one heck of a boat and tough as nails. Buy Canadian!
    Wish I had heard of Feathercraft before I ordered my Alpacka Denali Llama I would have checked them out because I totally prefer to buy local.

I now buy local made in Vancouver Taiga outdoor jackets/pants if I ever have an issue I can either drop it off or mail it in without worrying about border issues.

I dumped my dirt bike a few months ago I ripped the left knee of my Taiga Avalanche rain pants rip was so bad I figured my almost new $300 pants were now throw aways = I called Taiga shipped the pants to them and a couple weeks later I had my pants back completely repaired for $45 plus shipping I can't even tell that they were ever ripped.

One of the reasons I buy Leupold scopes is because Korth Ind the Canadian warranty service is just in Alberta.

Not going to cancel my order but when it comes time to upgrade I'll definitely check the Feathercraft Beast out I really like the looks of their rowing deck setup.
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser View Post
    I bought an Alpacka and carbon/cedar paddle about 8 years ago and used it a few times. Cool little boat, but I sold it a few years back. I'm planning to replace it with a raft that has a little more payload. Looking at the PR-49 HD. A tad heavier but more boat for sure.

They offer a discount if multiple boats are purchased. Group buy anyone?
    I was the one that bought StoneChaser's raft. It is amazing, very happy with it. I shot a moose last year and loaded up the boned out meat and the head/antlers (about 550 lbs) and two us walked the shore line pulling raft with ropes. About a 2km hike, was incredible easy compared to getting it out on our backs. Then 5 days later my buddy shot his moose and we did the same thing over again.

Just a great pack raft.

SB

I could have used one this spring!! I drove 12 hours and then biked/hiked 5 hours only to get to a river I couldn't cross to get to my unit for a bear hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by bross View Post
    Unfortunately, Feathercraft went out of business in December, 2016. This is posted on their webpage ..."Feathercraft has now permanently stopped making folding kayaks, rafts and accessories. Due to a number of factors, including poor economic conditions, changing lifestyles, flight baggage restrictions and increasing costs, we have found that making our premium kayaks is no longer financially viable."

Ya the alpacka rafts look pretty sweet, never seen one in person. Ive got an old 11' fold-a-boat I strap on the floatplane. Its Not even in the same boat (pun) as far as packability. But its a tough boat and nice to portage and perfect for 2 guys and a 2hp.