Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elusive Ptarmigan

Elusive Ptarmigan

Was just wondering if anyone hunts ptarmigan in Thompson Nicola,,,I hunted hard for them this past hunting season and never even seen 1,,,,tons of blues,,ruffed and spruce,,and seen few sharp tail,,,,but no ptarmigan
    Aim small,,miss small

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elusive Ptarmigan

Climb higher and you will find them in the alpine

I have seen a few around kamloops over the years but wouldn't bother targeting them, not my favorite table fare

Alpine indeed few and far between but I have ran into a few up high while muley hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Liveforthehunt View Post
    Alpine indeed few and far between but I have ran into a few up high while muley hunting
    Lots north of pemberton on the 99 and goldbridge areas. But only seen them when skiing. Don't know what their patterns would be like during open season.

Saw them when we were snipe hunting. Being white they stood out.

by far the most ptarmigan I have seen in region three was a fall hunt on the relay plateau...but I have seen them in the rocks high on most mountains up the north Thompson as well...they live in the rocks pretty much where nothing much else does....
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Me and the kid killed a bunch in the alpine near Clearwater last fall. 7500 feet or so.

Quote Originally Posted by ducktoller View Post
    Lots north of pemberton on the 99 and goldbridge areas. But only seen them when skiing. Don't know what their patterns would be like during open season.
    used to spend a lot of time in that area, seen lots of them in the alpine, rocky areas

Need to come up North. We hunt round Atlin and near Haines border. Not a soul and tons of birds. Jumped flocks of 40 birds easy.