Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Okanagan goose, waterfowling??

Re: Okanagan goose, waterfowling??

Quite a few years ago we were hunting ducks on Knockers rock, out of Tofino.
    Two of our buddies took my boat and headed for town for food as we were starving.
    Nearest land was over 2 miles away.
    They left Gunner a huge Lab with us .
    Some mallards came into the decoys, 1 was wounded and he headed out swimming after it.
    When he got out at 2 hundred yards and wasn't gaining on it, we tried calling him back!!!
    He eventually disappeared in the distance, we thought , oh great, we've managed to lose our pal's dog.
    We were very upset as he had been gone for well over an hour and there was no sign of our friends in the boat!!!
    Just as all hope of seeing the dog again was looming, I notice something in the distance.
    Here comes Gunner swimming back, guess what he's got the mallard too!!
    2 duck hunters were never more relieved to see him!
    Yeah he was pretty "KNACKERED'' but what a strong willed retriever.-----Cheers----FIELD MARSHAL.

Quote Originally Posted by field marshal View Post
    Two of our buddies took my boat and headed for town for food as we were starving.
    Some mallards came into the decoys, 1 was wounded and he headed out swimming after it.
    When he got out at 2 hundred yards and wasn't gaining on it, we tried calling him back!!!
    He eventually disappeared in the distance, we thought , oh great, we've managed to lose our pal's dog.
    We were very upset as he had been gone for well over an hour and there was no sign of our friends in the boat!!!
    Just as all hope of seeing the dog again was looming, I notice something in the distance.
    Yeah he was pretty "KNACKERED'' but what a strong willed retriever.-----Cheers----FIELD MARSHAL.
    Great story Tony they are tuff and special. Take a bit and read this, my favorite dog story.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=SuJ...0story&f=false
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by field marshal View Post
    Sure Hope Ol Gunner was eating bacon and eggs for dinner ! Sounds like a great dog !

CT

Honestly I'm kinda furious right now. If anyone has some decent information it would be appreciated. I have gone all season trying to find a place to hunt geese this year and never even got a chance to miss! I called a local sports store the other day thinking they might know. They're answer to " can I hunt on kalamelka lake?" Was " sure if you want to deal with swat" !!!!!!!!????!!!!???!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!! Fear and ignorance is making an already challenging hobby impossible!!!!! My next phone call was to the RCMP. Who had once again no useful information. Good luck trying to get a conservation officer on the phone to ask them. And even if you do manage to see one in person to ask, even they don't know!!!!! WTF?!?!???!!!!!!!!!!!

So as far as I understand if it's not in the regulations as being a posted no hunting area then it's legal to hunt it. Correct?

So I ask you guys

does anyone know if it is legal to hunt the following? Or not????

duck lake.

wood lake.

kalamelka lake.

Okanogan lake.

Rose valley res.

shannon lake

I know for a fact that skaha lake and osoyoos lake are legal to hunt. The town of Oliver has a goose hunting program. Information is online.

If anyone on here is part of law enforcement or related to law enforcement maybe you can get us some proper answers.

IF THE POLICE ARE THE ONES WHO HANDCUFF US FOR SOONG SOMETHING WRONG THEY SHOULD F-ing KNOW WHAT THE LAWS ARE.

AND CONSERVATION NEEDS TO DO A BETTER JOB OF MAKING THIS INFORMATION PROPERLY ACCESABLE!!!!!!!!

As long as your not on private property, shooting too close to houses or roads, you should be able to find spots on some of those lakes mentioned

Shannon Lake would probably not be allowed. It's within West Kelowna city limits. Pretty populated area there. I recall a story from a few years ago about a man getting arrested for trying to scare geese off the golf course by firing blanks. Imagine if he had actually been hunting. Rose Valley lake is a little bit farther from town but is inside a regional park, at least some of it. Not sure what that means unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by steelslinger View Post
    I have seen this many times before. Buddy taverez was a victim of police brutality. Plane and simple. The officer involved was removed from active duty and charged. But what happened years ago shouldn't matter. I'm asking about right now. Is it legal. Someone said you can get a permit to hunt in Kelowna but need insurance? As for rose valley res. Hunting is allowed in some regional parks, during open season. I hunt park lands all the time for coyote. And if hunting isn't allowed then why isn't it marked in the f_ing regulations. From what I understand if it's not posted then it should be legal. I'm tired of having to wonder if in allowed. They impose a ridiculous amount of regulations on us and no proper explanation. When you try and call someone for an answer they don't know either.

I fully agree with you Meatatarian...I actually have looked into hunting at Rose Valley Res., I phoned the RDCO as it is their park, and they said hunting is not allowed unfortunately in any RDCO park, which includes Shannon Lake as well..it is bull crap, there's a tonne of geese around, so much so that they waste taxpayers dollars to have guys go around and find their eggs and destroy em, yet they do not help hunters whatsoever..

Welcome to the site , thats quite the entrance, all that yelling

The Regs used to include a parks rules, now they say to refer to the Parks website for the latest restrictions.

RC's don't handle fishing or wildlife issues , but will handle firearms issues.

CO's have the RAPP line that handles the dispatching of calls , but it takes time.

Check the Regional District website for the area you want , local bylaws trump Federal or Provincial.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole