Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Okanagan goose, waterfowling??

Question Okanagan goose, waterfowling??

I was curious what the opportunities are for someone who is thinking of getting into goose hunting or waterfowling in or around the Kelowna area. I live in Lake Country and not sure of anywhere that would be a decent spot. I'm guessing a guy would have to head up to one of the higher lakes. Also would like to find somewhere to shoot over land, no boat or dog. Well not a dog any good for hunting. Lol

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Okanagan goose, waterfowling??

Opportunities exist, I saw close to one hundred birds on Benvoulin last night. Probably knocking on doors is a start. Secondly to discharge a firearm in the city of Kelowna limits you must get a permit from the RCMP.

I will save you some time. When I arrived in the valley I thought the same thing about getting up high to those lakes. I found that there is the odd duck up there but with out a good dog they are hard to get. My advice would be to start watching where they are landing and try to get permission.
    Like one shoot said you need a permit to fire a gun in the city limits.
    One other thing to consider is the fact that not many people in Kelowna will appreciate you shooting birds. LOL
    I am pretty sure that if you got permission out by lake country on some land you wouldn't get as much press. I think you will still need the permit as most of that area is still in Kelowna city limits.
    There is a ton of birds out there you just need to start getting permission to hunt where they are landing.

Hi
    I am a beginner waterfowler and have been hunting about three years. I am still as green as grass.
    Waterfowling with out a dog is not impossioble but I feel is unethical because the dogs will get onto a cripple for you where as by the time you are out of the blind and running in waiters that bird is gone, hiding and suffering. If you ar ehunting over water that is bigger than 25 metres even with a dog you need some form of water craft. You may need to resscue your dog.
    My advice is to find someone who is already waterfowling successfully in your area and see if they will mentor you.
    There are several on this site and all of them are willing to take on a sincere rookie.
    Every day in the bush is a day you get back from the Reaper!

VGC
    SVRGC
    BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by biggyun68 View Post
    Hi
    I am a beginner waterfowler and have been hunting about three years. I am still as green as grass.
    Waterfowling with out a dog is not impossioble but I feel is unethical because the dogs will get onto a cripple for you where as by the time you are out of the blind and running in waiters that bird is gone, hiding and suffering. If you ar ehunting over water that is bigger than 25 metres even with a dog you need some form of water craft. You may need to resscue your dog.
    My advice is to find someone who is already waterfowling successfully in your area and see if they will mentor you.
    There are several on this site and all of them are willing to take on a sincere rookie.
    Sorry Biggy, but I will disagree with you on this point. I hunt a little bit with dogs and we hunt some pretty big water, I have never has to rescue a dog in 56 yrs of waterfowling. There are definitely situations I would not put a dog into but as an owner you must recognize them and act accordingly. You have to think for your dog because a good dog won't quit on it's own. Size of the water isn't the important factor water conditions are. Then again I may be wrong.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 02-27-2015 at 06:01 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Just wanted to say that I have not used a dog in around 26 years,,,and I hunt birds on everything from rivers,creeks,ponds and fairly large lakes,,,,,buy a horseshoe belly boat and lase up fins,,,you can use any type of chest wader you desire,,,,,plus u can use it as a portable blind and access areas you have never thought of before,,,,if you look at wholesale sports online or in store,,,,they carry a belly boat specifically for duck and goose hunting,,,it even comes with a decoy bag to tow behind the boat
    Aim small,,miss small

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Sorry Biggy, but I will disagree with you on this point. I hunt a little bit with dogs and we hunt some pretty big water, I have never has to rescue a dog in 56 yrs of waterfowling. There are definitely situations I would not put a dog into but as an owner you must recognize them and act accordingly. You have to think for your dog because a good dog won't quit on it's own. Size of the water isn't the important factor water conditions are. Then again I may be wrong.

I agree with you 100% and would say that myself and the poster combined do not have 10% of your experience Foxy and that has to be taken into consideration:
    I have not had a retriever yet and as you well know and I am waiting on my first one. I feel that until I could trust myself and my dogs relationship I would still keep a canoe or kayak handy.
    I would not forgive myself if I lost one of my friends to lack of preparation and over confidence.
    Its one of the reasons I keep myself up to date with my CPR when I go out waterfowling with my present partners.

Definitely 143
    Every day in the bush is a day you get back from the Reaper!

VGC
    SVRGC
    BCWF

Oh they are pretty tuff Biggy, I watched the Meth Lab chase a cripple for over 1/2 an hour in the water last trip mind you she does have a built in buoyancy compensator but the oars are pretty damned short LMFatAO
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by cgizen View Post
    I was curious what the opportunities are for someone who is thinking of getting into goose hunting or waterfowling in or around the Kelowna area. I live in Lake Country and not sure of anywhere that would be a decent spot. I'm guessing a guy would have to head up to one of the higher lakes. Also would like to find somewhere to shoot over land, no boat or dog. Well not a dog any good for hunting. Lol
    Theres a guy out there (Kelowna) who does really well, I read recently somewhere (another forum) that he maxed out on geese in 35 minutes flat!

It sure sounds good to me, you should try and hook up with him sometime!

send me a pm if you are interested and I will tell you where he hangs out so that you might contact him.
    Last edited by Ranger95; 03-22-2015 at 03:52 PM.
    One rifle - one planet - Holland's 375.

People are like balls of yarn, for the most part they are boring and useless - but I still get a lot of pleasure watching them unravel!! (GC)

Gods own country

jim, why in hell would biggy try and keep up with a train[cpr]? oh yah I forgot 143...d
    "Hunting For HEALTH Not TROPHIES"