Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I need to know about getting into Waterfowl Hunting

What do I need to know about getting into Waterfowl Hunting

Hey y'all, Trigger here, for those who met me you know I am a new hunter, this will be my first year, I had thought about Migratory bird hunting, what do I need/ need to know about it, tips and tricks are always a bonus, thanks for the imput

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What do I need to know about getting into Waterfowl Hunting

Stop while you still can!
    once you get yourself set up, this is the most addictive thing to do! You never have enough stuff, and never hear the sound of geese or ducks the same!

just my 2 cents

curtis

You need an additional license or 2 if you're in the lower mainland/fraser valley. The one you definitely need is the federal migratory bird stamp which is available at most post offices and also now online. The second if you're in the lm/fv is the Fraser Valley special area license which you can get most places that hunting licenses are sold.

Do you have lots of money? Nuff said!

Ron
    Quail is the virgin
    Duck is the mature woman
    .....Iron Chef

It's just like any other type of hunting. Can get in with the basics or go all out. Start exploring this summer.

I would start with 12 decoys, a call, and some sort of blind, whether it be burlap, or laydown depends on where you are hunting. Try and find a good private field that you can hunt that will increase your odds a lot over public land spots usually

Find locations where duck want to be this can be public or private land. Talk to farmers before the season and don't get frustrated when you are told no just try some where else.

12 decoys and a mojo is a good start. For calls a wigeon whistle and a mallard call. For mallard call I find I am only good with a double reed and had to go through a few calls to find what works for me.

Blind is nice but you can get away with camo and hiding in the bush or grass. Try not to look up at the ducks till you are ready to shoot they will see your face. Limit movement as well when they are coming in.

I am still learning as well but still kill a few ducks

And let them get close pick a bird and don't sky bust or flock shoot

Good luck

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Find locations where duck want to be this can be public or private land. Talk to farmers before the season and don't get frustrated when you are told no just try some where else.

12 decoys and a mojo is a good start. For calls a wigeon whistle and a mallard call. For mallard call I find I am only good with a double reed and had to go through a few calls to find what works for me.

Blind is nice but you can get away with camo and hiding in the bush or grass. Try not to look up at the ducks till you are ready to shoot they will see your face. Limit movement as well when they are coming in.

I am still learning as well but still kill a few ducks
    well said WILD ONE ,
    a water Dog is a HUGE ASSET, good hip boots or chest waders, with steel shot the birds need to much closer then old days with lead. 20 to 40 yards good to stick with. The more deeks ya have the better I have about 5 doz duck and about 10 doz goose deeks of various types, but wish for more full body goose deeks. Lots to learn when first getting going. Use 3 or 3 1/2 inch BB to #4 if u only have 2 3/4 oh well it's a start. Pm me if ya want.
    CT

Blacktail on here has some custom calls on the buy and sell right now as well. Ive had two calls from him and they work good.