Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barney's and Tatonka pack frames

Re: Barney's and Tatonka pack frames

so I am seriously considering picking one up for those hunts where my internal frame is not up to the task.
    What are you using for an Internal right now Krico?

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by kutenay
    I am from Nelson and have backpacked extensively in the West Kootenays

Nelson Eh, sure wish I could hike those mountains some day, guess I'll have to buy a new pack in order to do it though.

It's an Osprey Aether 70L-a great pack, fits good, large main compartment, easy to strap the gun to the outside but under a heavy load the comfort level really starts to drop. For day tripping from base camp I prefer to just take an empty frame, with a few essentials in a waterproof stuff and spotter tied on. Keeps the load light, and if you shoot something you've got room to load it on without messing around.
    Twist and pull.

Just as an FYI, I tried one of the kelty packs on last year when I bought my tatonka and although the packframe was WAY too narrow for my shoulder width and I didn't really like the pack much but they have the best hip belt tightening system I have ever used, you can really put your weight into tightening up the belt. Its a double forward push system that you can actually tighten both sides at the same time.
    All the other packs that I have seen you have to pull back on the straps and have absoutely no leverage to get it tight without having to use 2 hands to tighten one side at a time. I am going to try and addapt that system to my tatonka, not sure if I can but its a definite upgrade....

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles
    Nelson Eh, sure wish I could hike those mountains some day, guess I'll have to buy a new pack in order to do it though.
    The moutains near Nelson are the easy ones, I used to live beside the orange bridge and hike from there, the old ferry landing, into the back end of Baldface Cr. and back, almost every Sunday, just a nice day's jaunt.

I also walked into Evan's Lake from Slocan and back in five days in August, 1975, now that is a hike that really tests your enthusiasm for backpacking, especially on the boulder fields in the upper basins near Fosheim Lake. I had a Flallraven Expedition frame pack then from the company that now sells Tatonka and Meindl boots; I changed to a Gerry Makalu soft pack due to a fall in Evan's Cr. canyon that was due to the frame pack shifting and nearly killed me, I was alone at the time, at least 8 miles from Slocan.

I don't really like ANY frame pack very much, none of them hug your torso like a properly fitted quality internal will, but, everyone has different preferences, each to his own.

Bron375,

My father has the Tatonka, and I have the Kifaru Longhunter. I have worn the totonka for a few days, and like it. It is light, and comfortable. I would not overlook this pack,

Quote Originally Posted by kutenay
    The moutains near Nelson are the easy ones, I used to live beside the orange bridge and hike from there, the old ferry landing, into the back end of Baldface Cr. and back, almost every Sunday, just a nice day's jaunt.
    Did you go up through paulput rock(spelling???) and up over the top and hook up with the tower road or did you take the private road through crazy mans land and up grohman creek to baldface. Walking on roads doesn't count?

Just razzin ya, I live here too

I've used Tatonkas for several years now. I've packed out elk, mule deer (including all my gear for 7-10 days), and bears with mine. I had three quarters of a konger bear in it plus it's hide and head on it as well. The load almost made me yak but I got er done and the pack took it no problem. The only beef I have is they (the straps) sometimes squeak with a heavy load on.

[quote=Brambles]Did you go up through paulput rock(spelling???) and up over the top and hook up with the tower road or did you take the private road through crazy mans land and up grohman creek to baldface. Walking on roads doesn't count?

The Tower Road did not exist when we first started fishing and hunting up Grohman/Baldface; we boated down to where the old KFP haul road from the '50s ended just upstream from Grohman Creek's mouth ans walked from there. I have climbed the Pulpit Rock Trail gazillions of times, hiked to the old silica diggings on top of Elephant Mtn. and in behind Mt. Grohman, very fine Mule Deer and Grouse hunting in the days before that road and the HIPPIES who moved up there in the '70s.

WHO is ...crazy man..., I have relatives there, we are one of the oldest families in Nelson and I lived there, mostly, until I was 35, but, I have never heard this term. By any chance, could this be P.S. or D.P., both of whom I knew? There WAS a family who lived up there and it ended pretty tragically, so, I won't go into details as I knew them well, but, I would like to know who this is?

We also used to walk into Burn's Meadows to hunt Grouse, up the OLD TV road, long gone now, I imagine, but, the Blues and Franklin's were thick then and we got plenty of them. There was a fine log cabin uip there, but, HIPPIES started using it to do drugs in and so the R.C.M.P. and B.C.F.S. torched it, or so I was told; do you know about this?

Dope smokin' hippies around Nelson ?? ..........Say it isn't so!!

SSS