Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Your favorite grouse recipe

Re: Your favorite grouse recipe

great thread. one thing we all manage to put in the freezer every year.

are there any regions of BC that don't have grouse? i can't think of any.

i chop and sautee some onion, peppers and some garlic in a light oil, then mix in some Patak's hot curry paste until the whole mess is reddish brown. Next, add cubed grouse meat and cook to your desired doneness. Alone or over rice or mashed potatoes, this is a delicious and quick way to eat some of nature's finest.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Just a little salt and pepper, cut into 1in. chunks, lightly fried so still juicy so you can taste what a grouse tastes like, nothing fancy and better off fresh.

Just cooked up some grouse for dinner !

Covered bottom of ceramic baking dish with spinache spaghetti sauce, placed grouse breasts in middle, cut red potatoes in half, placed around outside of pan. Filled in gaps with peeled chopped carrots/celery/mushrooms. Sprinkle salt/pepper/garlic on top, Covered with remaining jar of spaghetti sauce. In the oven covered at 400 for 45-60 or until potatoes are cooked. Broil high for few minutes near end.

Awesome...

For ruffies and blues battered in onion soup mix, flour, and spices than pan fried in bacon grease

Spruce stir fry in teriyaki. ginger, garlic, salt, pepper and a mix of veg. For veg I like mushrooms, red peppers, broccoli, bean sprouts, sweet peas, and carrots. Throw this on top of rice and your good to go

Both simple and good

Prisciutto wrapped grouse w/ thyme and veg:
    - leave breasts on bone
    - drizzle w/ olive oil
    - put a few sprigs of thyme on the underside of breasts, then wrap in prisciutto
    - roast w/ some veg; carrots, onions and a clove or two of garlic, or whatever you like
    - fill roasting pan w/ about 3/4 inch of chicken stock, keeps things nice and moist
    - cook at 350 until done

I love a grouse Pot Pie. And this technique has the advantage of getting all the meat off the bone and not wasting any.

Quick sautee of some onions/garlic in a dutch oven. Throw 2 or 3 birds in with some water or stock, little bit of white wine and put the dutch oven into the oven at about 200 degrees for a couple of hours. Pull it out, and if you give a gentle stir, most of the meat will fall off. From here I like to pour the whole thing through a strainer into a pot, strip the meat off the carcass and pull any bones that fell off out of the strainer. Chuck all the meat/onions into the broth in the pot, throw whatever veggies you like (a frozen corn/carrots/peas mix is easy but broccoli is nice, some potatoes whatever you like.) Salt & pepper it all to taste, and add some milk or cream. Pull some broth out and whisk some flour or cornstarch in, stir back into the mix, simmer to thicken it.

Once you have a nice consistency, spoon the mix into a bunch of pie plates, throw some crusts on the top (I just buy the pre-made ones.) Wrap them and put them in the freezer and then they are oven-ready.

If I bag 3+ grouse I like to make a batch like this, makes 5 or 6 pies, and they you have some easy meals for busy week nights!

simple cubed, floured, and fried.

1) hike about 10 km away from any road or trail
    2) shoot grouse with a long bow
    3) jam a stick into the breast and hold it over a very small fire till done
    4) eat with your hands and watch the sun set

you'll never have a better meal

Quote Originally Posted by gitnadoix View Post
    1) hike about 10 km away from any road or trail
    2) shoot grouse with a long bow