Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do different species of deer taste different?

Re: Do different species of deer taste different?

Worst tasting deer I ever had should have been the best,I shot a nice fat fork blacktail buck early in the morning on opening day in September,but went back to get my wife to help me drag it back up to the road.The kids were still sleeping so by the time we got them up,fed them breakfast and the went back to get my buck,a couple of hours had passed.

The buck had just started to bloat a bit and I cleaned it and got it back to the truck....by this time it was getting quite warm outside.Seeing some huckleberries,we stopped to pick them and finally got home after lunch,where I hung the deer and then butchered it. That was the worst,strongest tasting buck I ever had,and it should have been prime-had I gutted it right away,kept it cool and got the hide off as soon as possible(which is what I do now)But I was a young guy ,hadn't shot a ot of deer and unlike most of the bucks I shot later in the season when it was cooler didn't realize how important it was to get them bled,cleaned cooled down and get the hide off when it was warm.

funny,one of the best tasting deer we ever had was a big 4 point muley in full rut,shot him up in Savona in November , he stank something awful,but it was cold,snow on the ground,I gutted and hung him in a tree for a couple of days then drove back home to the island,hung him for about 10 days(it was cold) and then butchered him- best venison we ever had...
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 02-07-2015 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    Worst tasting deer I ever had should have been the best,I shot a nice fat fork blacktail buck early in the morning on opening day in September,but went back to get my wife to help me drag it back up to the road.The kids were still sleeping so by the time we got them up,fed them breakfast and the went back to get my buck,a couple of hours had passed.

The buck had just started to bloat a bit and I cleaned it and got it back to the truck....by this time it was getting quite warm outside.Seeing some huckleberries,we stopped to pick them and finally got home after lunch,where I hung the deer and then butchered it. That was the worst,strongest tasting buck I ever had,and it should have been prime-had I gutted it right away,kept it cool and got the hide off as soon as possible(which is what I do now)But I was a young guy ,hadn't shot a ot of deer and unlike most of the bucks I shot later in the season when it was cooler didn't realize how important it was to get them bled,cleaned cooled down and get the hide off when it was warm.

funny,one of the best tasting deer we ever had was a big 4 point muley in full rut,shot him up in Savona in November , he stank something awful,but it was cold,snow on the ground,I gutted and hung him in a tree for a couple of days then drove back home to the island,hung him for about 10 days(it was cold) and then butchered him- best venison we ever had...

Interesting... I guess the take home point is to gut, and cool the animal ASAP. Seems to be the most important thing from what everyone has said.

Thanks for the info!

I 've only had a couple of mule deer,the rest were Blacktails.I've never had a whitetail,but we're going to try to get one next season

Gutless field dressing... (search that on youtube). Fast, cooled quickly by this method and just the meat comes home never a problem.