Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pal

Re: Pal

Unless you have a jaded past or previous firearms prohibition .. it was YOUR choice to take the courses VS challenging the courses. The Gov does not "make" people take the course unless they have reason too .. may not be a great reason but they do need a "reason" to make you take the course, otherwise you could have challenged the tests.

The money paid for a course goes to the instructor, not the Gov, so it isn't "the Gov" taking the money for your courses. Splitting hairs I know, you're still out the money regardless of who it was paid to. I understand your frustration but take a breath and relax. If you think waiting for your PAL is hard.... wait until you order a firearm !! now that is a long wait ... no mater how fast it comes. lol
    Last edited by TPK; 01-26-2015 at 01:06 PM.

Mine took about 100 days or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    Do you have a reference number... If not ask for one... Give it to your references... Get them to call in
    ^This.
    If they call your references, and your references don't answer, your application goes to the bottom of the pile. When it gets back to the top again, if your references don't answer, guess where your application goes? The bottom of the pile! Rinse, lather, repeat.

The easier you make it for them to do their job, the faster and more painless the process is.
    I called in while my references were with me, so I could hand the phone off to each of them (and avoid them waiting on hold) . Mine took about 30 days at this time of year last year (for my non restriced and restricted).
    Ditto for my short term att and long term att's, and transfers all were done within 5 minutes of my calling in.

You also need to remember that you probably aren't the only person that has an application waiting approval. We are talking all of Canada that the C.F.A. is dealing with right now. Everyday, people are passing the firearms course and submitting their paperwork to receive a P.A.L. 60 days? I wouldn't worry about it too much. They probably are a little more swamped with applications than the usual.

Tgophers It is obvious to me, teaching and examining the courses for 0ver 20 years, that you are after an RPAL. All references MUST be contacted by CFC to get a verification and bit of history about you. Also there is a more thorough check into your past, and sometimes even your family's past. All this takes time.
    TPK You are correct re the 'didn't have to do the courses', but when the new SENCIBLE FIREAEMS ACT comes into effect the CHALLENGE option will be removed and everyone MUST sit through a minimum of 8 hours of lesson time prior to doing the 2 part examination. This will apply even if you already know more than some of the instructors.

Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    ... TPK You are correct re the 'didn't have to do the courses', but when the new SENCIBLE FIREAEMS ACT comes into effect the CHALLENGE option will be removed and everyone MUST sit through a minimum of 8 hours of lesson time prior to doing the 2 part examination. This will apply even if you already know more than some of the instructors.
    ... or if you challenge the tests before the change is in effect and fail, you will have to do the course.

My pal has been approved!! 2 weeks or sooner till I get it!