Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ashnola Sheep in Trouble?

Ashnola Sheep in Trouble?

I don't think this has been posted yet:
    http://www.vancouversun.com/health/S...442/story.html

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ashnola Sheep in Trouble?

Its new news about the helicopters but the mange has been discussed on here before. A few threads last year.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

1899 Guest

I hadn't heard of this. It doesn't look good and I hope they sort it out quick.

I have noticed a drop over the last three years in sheep that I have spotted in that area while hunting. I just thought that I missed them or they were on a different slope. Saw about 20 up that way this year. Only one was 3/4 curl rest were all young. It would be nice to see a rebound as I like to see them up up that way on my yearly hunt there.

I only have one thing to add..Why has the population of sheep in the USA in the past 30 years gone from 17,000 animals to now 80, 000 animals? Here in BC our sheep numbers are going down..We entrust the management of our animals to our Provincial govt..I feel they are no longer doing their " Due Dilgence " in managing our wildlife..This has been and is a serious problem that we as hunters have ignored for too long..Hope we can reverse this trend..

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    I only have one thing to add..Why has the population of sheep in the USA in the past 30 years gone from 17,000 animals to now 80, 000 animals? Here in BC our sheep numbers are going down..We entrust the management of our animals to our Provincial govt..I feel they are no longer doing their " Due Dilgence " in managing our wildlife..This has been and is a serious problem that we as hunters have ignored for too long..Hope we can reverse this trend..
    i think you need to look at each herd before coming to a conclusion like that. Would be great to see the data you are referring to with regard to pops in BC declining.
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    I totally agree with you elknut!The Gov't has spent too much money on stupid shit and doesn't recognize it 's own beauty in it's wildlife.They basically run our province like a business and business is good in their foggy eyes!My 2 cents.

Anyone that has hunted sheep in the province for many years knows how the sheep numbers have declined..The Fraser river bighorns ..The Thompson river bighorns ...Trapped and given to the Americans..The okanagon sheep ..no where near their numbers...Northern BC stone sheep ...A long ways from past numbers...Our Dept of Fish and Wildlife is a bloody joke...We have lost management of our wildlife for many years since the Govt axed the biologists positions..Sorry Coach I tend to disagree ..Just my observations from many years hunting in BC..

Hmmm at wild sheep society convention last year the biologists for the southern half of bc all echoed diminishing sheep numbers..with many possible solutions...chilcotin sheep are waaaaaaaay down..
    Srupp

There's some projects in the works to help these herds. It comes down to dollars and sense unfortunately and there is a general lack of funds in MFLNRO these days as we well know. There's so many threats to wild sheep across the province its hard to know where to start. The best thing you can do is show up and get informed and contribute to the cause! Region 8 biologist will be presenting this year and the Ashnola herd will be a hot topic.

Convention March 13/14, 2015 https://wildsheepsociety.net/convention-and-fundraiser/

The HOL is a great way to put money towards wild sheep projects. https://wildsheepsociety.net/hunt-of-a-lifetime/
    Lets get the place BURNT!!