Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elk in Manning??

Elk in Manning??

Before I got into hunting, I hiked extensively and one of the places that I have frequented was Manning Park. I have hiked every trail in that park many times except for 2 and ONE time I heard what I thought was an elk bugle, but never again. I also have seen elk droppings there but they all were quite old and never saw any sort of fresh sign. I know years ago..like pre-1950s, Robert Boyd, the ranger in the park brought in some Roosevelt elk. But that's all I've ever heard about them. My question to all of you, have you ever seen any elk in manning? Or at least some definitive fresh sign of elk? This is only for interest sake, I know this park like the back of my hand and am fully aware that it is a no hunting area. But I would love the opportunity to get out and photograph some these majestic animals and Manning is very accessible to the LML.

Thanks!
    Tīg
    Last edited by Tīɡ; 01-20-2015 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Grammar
    See the swing...hear the ding!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Elk in Manning??

Ya there would be ,I have seen elk not far from the east gate .

There's plenty of elk inbetween east manning and Princeton for sure, definitely could be a few in the park but your odds of seeing one would go up significantly being on the east side of the park

Saw 6 on the side of the highway just south of the Princeton copper mine last March. Early evening. Very cool animals.

Used to live and work in Manning, never seen any, but if I was to look I would head either towards the Nicomen Lake area, or Monument 78 along the edges of the park.

It is strange why the Princeton herds never moved in and populated the park. Maybe the winter is too harsh on that side of Sunday summit.

xpeier

funny...you mention Rosie's????
    I heard this same story....that these elk were transplanted, and that they were Rosie's as well...from a long time old friend, who's only passion was hunting, and hunted these elk a lot.
    And yes, he got one...one that is not in any books, and scores over 400....
    he is since passed on...
    But, I ask the question....are these elk Rosies????...especially if u could see the rack on the beast he took!!...sorry, no picutres of it, but it was a huge 8 x 9, with 3 brow tines on each side, and 2 hookers on 1 side, taken right close to Princeton.
    This was years ago however, shortly before Princeton became a popular place to go look for elk.
    So Rosies??? anyone have info on that??

Interesting thread .... have seen/heard elk north of the park.

The Roosevelt transplant question is something that I've not heard of before ....
    Just a bit of thread drift here ..... apologies.
    Page 86 ... Big Game Records of BC (first edition) ........ Rocky Mountain elk were the animals used for the Queen Charlotte transplants.
    Saw a large grizzly on the WS/BC border .... Pasayten River.

I'm pretty sure there are elk in in chilliwack river valley, so no reason they couldn't cross over a couple of valleys

Yes Chilliwack has them

My "The mammals of British Columbia" book from 1956 by UBC and the Provincial Museum in Victoria states that an introduced population of Rocky Mountain elk has been established near Princeton.

Some places they just don't like.

I know a spot right on the border of Region 2 and 8 and though I have seen one elk on the Region 2 side of the ridge dividing the areas, they almost exclusively stay on the east (Region 8 ) side.