Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2015

Re: My 2015

Congrats! I sure love reading Coach stories, along with some of the best pics on the forum...thanks!

Nice tag team buck...

Haven't been able to get out much this year - but decided to take a few days off and give things a go this week. Thursday afternoon, I headed out for a solo overnight back pack hunt. Plenty of action, with 10 bucks spotted - but none likely older than 2 1/2.

Pretty hard to tell from the pic - but his buck has the makings of something pretty cool. His left side (right side in the pic) had a 5" flyer sticking straight sideways off the back forks. At this point in time, he's got crab claws in the front and only 3 on the right side. Not knowing how youthful he was as I watched through the willows, I unfortunately put the camera down and grabbed the rife. I'd have had lots of time to shoot pics and vids had I reversed that decision.

All in all, it was a fun couple days - although the pain in my legs tells me I should have done a little bit of training this summer..
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

Tonight I took the family out for a drive to look for grouse. Things were going great.. Colin harvested a nice blue and Chilko did a great job on the retrieve. Several more were spotted, but took off a little too quickly for him to get a shot off. Along the way, we spotted a young 3x3 bull moose as well as a cow and a few mule deer does. Just as Tracy began to suggest we turn around and head for home, I spotted two mule deer 50 yards off the road.

"Colin, they're both bucks - Do you want to try for one?"

"Yes!" he scrambled out of the truck and I got out with him and handed him the 7-08 and his clip.

"You sure you want that one?" His mom asked. I knew she was thinking about the fact his mule deer season would be over in regions 8 and 3 and we hadn't had a chance to do our own back pack trip yet.

"Yes, I want that one.."

He steadied himself, took aim and "boom!".. the rest is history.

It was a pretty cool family experience we got to share with his mom and younger brother. The drag to the truck was easy, the processing went well, and we had it hanging at the butchers an hour or so later. Good times!!
    Resident Hunter

To post pics on HBC:

5- thank the Coach

I don't know about you Coach, but hunting has gone to a whole new level now that my boy can be fully involved. Great to see the young guns getting it done.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    I don't know about you Coach, but hunting has gone to a whole new level now that my boy can be fully involved. Great to see the young guns getting it done.
    Absolutely, WB! My 8 year old stepson was pretty excited to watch things unfold and he's definitely counting the days until his 10th birthday so he can hunt alongside his older brother. Very cool stuff for sure.
    Resident Hunter

To post pics on HBC:

5- thank the Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post

Lol, yeah now that the kids are taking care of the meat you are going to get lazy.

Nice work coach.
    Great pics as usual!
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

It's funny you say that. It has been probably 20 years since I have not been out for the first weekend of rifle season. Other circumstances added to my decision, but my boy getting a good start on filling the freezer surely influenced it. Believe me though, it is gnawing at me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Lol, yeah now that the kids are taking care of the meat you are going to get lazy.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Ha ha. I think the opposite is true. With the kids really getting into hunting, it means I've got even more reason to get out. Having the freezer partially filled early also means I can get more selective this season.
    Resident Hunter

To post pics on HBC:

5- thank the Coach

Congratulations Colin on your buck. Don't worry about getting another buck...there is room on Coach's tag !
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc