Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me bow

Question New to me bow

Nice bow Hoyt Alfa. 60# pull
    Problem is that at 10 yds it shoot a couple or 3 inches to the right, at 20 yds it shoots a couple inches to the left.
    I'm shooting carbon arrows 300 spine.
    Are the arrows too stiff or not stiff enough.
    How do the number on the arrow work? The higher the # the stiffer the arrow or lower the # the stiffer the arrow?
    Thanks in advance

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New to me bow

I'm thinking your flinching .... shoot 100 Shots from each yardage .. are you experienced with compounds or new ?

Easton has an arrow spine calculator that can help you determine the appropriate arrow spine based on your draw weight and draw length. My initial thought is you're over spined. That being said hitting that far left then right suggest it could be other factors. Is the bow the right draw length? are you consistant on your anchor? If you can take it in somewhere that can tune it and make sure it is all set up properly would be my first recommendation.
    Quote Originally Posted by elkdom View Post
    magnums can easily turn your brain to mush,, and there is much evidence of that on the internet !

Make sure you are shooting with and open hand, or lightly closed. If you are gripping it too tight you could be torquing the bow from straight to left. Also look into paper tuning your bow to see that everything is balanced with your release and rest for proper arrow flight. That's the extent of my bow knowledge. Good luck. This will force you to learn more about you bow!

I have shot bows quite a bit both compound and recurve. but lost interest just after the law that you couldn't shoot ground squirrels on crown land came in.
    I use to go out in the P,M, and practice on the ground squirrels until evening and then stalk bears. Never did get a shot at a bear but had some exciting stalks.
    I guess I'll talk the wife into videoing my form and look and see if I'm screwing up.
    The Hoyt is a lot faster than the Golden eagle so I imagine it's a lot less forgiving.

Adjust your site at 20 yards till you hit the centre. Then send one arrow at 20. Move to 30 yards and aim your 20 pin on your arrow. It should hit just under your arrow, most likely to the left. Then move to 40 yards and use your 20 pin on the first arrow again. It should hit bellow the last arrow , and most likely even more left. Continue this pattern till you get to 60 yards. If it keeps growing left adjust your rest left or right to correct the arrow. Repeat the process until all your arrows are hitting in a straight line down.

300 would probably be a bit to stiff but don't mix up spine with series like Radial x-weave use. A 200 series Radial X-weave is closer to 400 spine.
    I shoot a 60 pound compound with 29" DL and use 400 spine arrows. And if you are talking spine the lower the number the stiffer the arrow. I wish company's would all use spine to indicate the stiffness of the arrows. What brand of arrows are you using by the way?
    You may be able to make them work for you, try heavier points and as far as some left and some right well that is probably just you. Cheers Roscoe

Got'er fixed, new bow has a lot smaller handle than old bow and was having trouble convincing my brain that it wasn't going to fall out of my hand after my release.
    I didn't think I was but the wife watched a said I was.
    Arrows are RWX radial weave.
    Thanks for the help.

that's what wrist slings are for,

what length arrow, and what weight field point or broadhead? Methinks u r overspined with .300" spine.
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

Thanks for all the help. Pretty much blame the rest of the problems with operator error, the first 6 or 9 shot are good and then then they start to wander, rest for a couple of hours and the groups are back to being O.K. again.