Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non res Sask Hunter

Non res Sask Hunter

I got a question. I understand some BC hunters want non res hunting stopped. I assume this is for resident Canadian hunters as well?
    i live in Sask - can I get the list of names of those that don't want us there, hahaha!
    our province is struggling with whitetail numbers & our government is trying to do the right thing to get it back on its feet. So non res hunter tags & zone allocation has been cut back. I think it's a pretty good step forward. Yet our grocery stores need to stay open so I hope the deer can make her back one day soon. Now for me to come out to BC to hunt it's far more difficult. I need a resident to go with me, I need to move there, or I need a guide. I'm ok with that. It's not the same as our rules to accommodate Canadian residents but fair enuff. Now, if I understand it correctly some of my fellow Canadians in BC don't even want us to be able to hunt there. It bugs me, a lot as the current BC rules already has me unable to hunt there. Don't know anyone, can't afford a GO & probably not moving anytime soon. Maybe I'm out to lunch.....

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Non res Sask Hunter

The issue isn't with non resident hunters so much. More to do with a guiding industry that is heavily subsidized by government and rife with international ownership trying to reduce bc resident hunting opportunities.
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

The problem is that the government decided the GO's needed more LEH tags, so they are taking LEH tags away from residents and giving them to the GO's... Even though a lot of the GO's can't even sell the ones they already have.

The problem is not non-resident hunters or non-resident hunting IMO.

Its the backroom deals of the GOABC and undermining good negotiations in an attempt to take as much from resident hunters as possible.

I'm of the belief that every province/state should have some sort of non-resident hunting opportunity. I've been fortunate to hunt in Wyoming, Texas, Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC. I look forward to hunting other provinces, countries, etc and enjoy that opportunity. I also feel its important that non-resident hunters (both CDN and Aliens) are able to come and enjoy BC hunting as its some of the best in the world.

Just my opinion....I support non-resident hunting where its balanced and fair to all. GOABC tactics and Govt deals is what I don't support.

What's happening out your way... Last I heard a non resident could hunt the northern part of the province ... But now its gone to a draw.... Your part of the country is known for producing huge whitetails !

Craigo, Not many BC hunters have a problem with you coming here to hunt. There is even some discussion around draws for non-residents.

BC guides don't want you to come here without a guide! They want the "Permit to Accompany" program killed.

Get active on this site. Post up your hunts and stories. Get better acquainted with the large group here. Before you know it, someone will invite you on a BC hunt.
    I harvest carrots. I kill animals.

Some hunters don't want other hunters within miles of where they hunt.
    I remember a few years ago (about 50 yrs) planned to hunt this one area north of Gold River, we got to the road and somebody had blocked it off with a pick-up and carried on up the road in another vehicle.
    The hill we planned to hunt was only a mile up the road so we just parked and walked in, after about 3 hours wandering around the mountain and not seeing any promising deer sign we hiked back out to our truck. The truck that was blocking the road was now over the bank. I guess somebody didn't like the road being blocked.

^Everything's been said already.

craigo,

Something that would help your deer numbers is getting you gov to allow canadian resident hunters to shoot coyotes when they are out there deer hunting.

The past 2 winters were devastating for deer in SK and they need all the help they can get.

They should even pair up with AB and do the $25 bounty again.

Craigo, from what I've been reading, it's loud and clear that there are a number of B.C. resident hunters that want it all for themselves - the same as Alberta and other places. Fair enough, if they have no desire to expand their experiences and will never go anywhere out of their own provinces to hunt, fish, or utilize any other resource. I hope that they are the minority and that in the future, we (especially in Canada) can share our particular resources to enhance and expand our hunting - or whatever - experiences. I have not hunted or even been to Sask. but would love to go there some day. I have been lucky to have hunted and fished in Alberta and the experiences are unique and excellent and I've met many great people and made lifelong friends. At this time, B.C. hunters are dealing with some emotional issues and seem to be very defensive. Alberta and Sask. have seen some bad winters and the decline in animal numbers have gotten their resident hunters to be defensive as well. The main concern should be to maintain healthy wildlife populations and fairly allocate the surpluses for hunting. Everyone has their idea of what "fairly" is.
    Each provinces' management policies has good and bad ideas, depending on point of view - you just have to take advantage of what opportunities there are.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

hey craigo, my family homesteaded in sask in 1910, we still own some of the family farm and pay taxes, we also hunt each year and only look for big whitetail bucks, the weather for the last few years has been tough, especially for the deer, main cause for whitetail, mule deer decline, anyhow, the deer season for sask hunters should be shorter, coyote hunting should be open for all, bounty for coyotes would be the best, if there is no food for deer, too cold, deep snow, poaching, predators in winter and the worst for fawns in the spring is the cause of deer population decline, regardless, sask is the best hunting province, not much advantage going to bc, unless, you are a guide outfitter and work with the government to get those grizzly/elk/moose/sheep/goat draws, then, big profit on the backs of all bc hunters who are unable to get the leh, maybe the goabc want to deny outside canadian residents to be able to hunt in order to improve their business, let us know when you get the answer as who doesn't want you in bc craigo, good luck!