Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slingshot as side arm?

Re: Slingshot as side arm?

I realize that this is an old thread, but I appreciate the info here as I've been curious about legal hunting methods such as slingshots, slingbows and airguns that are not detailed as legal hunting methods in the regulations or wildlife act (actually, any airguns regardless of power are considered firearms by the wildlife act). I've copied below I response I got from Fish and Wildlife regarding the use of airguns < 500 fps for hunting upland game birds. What I gather from this response is that there is nothing illegal about the hunting means if not stated explicitly in the Wildlife Act. However, under the Act it is an offence to injure wildlife and not make a "reasonable effort" to retrieve the wildlife and kill it. Therefore, if one is using a hunting means that is inadequate for the purpose of killing the game in question, it could be considered an offence. The officer refers to it being conceivably legal to hunt big game using a small airgun, except that it would be impossible to humanely kill such an animal with that weapon so likely considered an offence. Therefore, if you wanted to go out and hunt grizzly with a slingshot and were charged, you would have to prove in court that your slingshot was capable of killing a grizzly.

Based on this, my conclusion is that hunting methods not explicitly called out in the Wildlife Act are ultimately acceptable based on their suitability for the game. If you actually were charged with an offence for trying to hunt rabbit or grouse with a slingshot (discretion of the officer), then you would likely have a pretty decent case in court that you could effectively retrieve and kill the animal with that weapon.

Anyone disagree?

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail enquiring about air pistols and hunting. It has been forwarded to me for a response.

The Wildlife Act defines firearm and hunt as such:

"firearm" includes a rifle, shotgun, handgun or spring gun and any device that propels a projectile by means of an explosion, compressed gas or spring but does not include a bow;
    A Pellet or BB gun (Air pistol) meets the definition of "firearm"; propel a projectile by means of compressed gas.

"hunt" includes shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking or lying in wait for wildlife, or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured,

(a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or

(b) while in possession of a firearm or other weapon;"

The possession of a pellet/bb gun (firearm) while meeting the definition above is considered hunting and can only be done in compliance with hunting regulations in the province.

There are currently no prohibitions on the use of pellet/bb guns to hunt upland game birds/small game in British Columbia. There are no restrictions on velocity/ammunition requirements. However, note that it is an offence to hunt with a firearm that is designed, altered or intended to be aimed and fired by the action of one hand or that has a barrel less than 305 mm in length.

While it is not prohibited to hunt with a pellet/bb gun, please be advised that it is an offence under the Wildlife Act to injure wildlife and fail to make every reasonable effort to retrieve the wildlife and kill it. Considering the limited killing ability and range of pellet/bb guns, it is possible that the possession of only a pellet/bb gun to kill wounded wildlife would be inadequate to meet the standards of "every reasonable effort" to retrieve and kill a wounded animal. It is possible that it would be an offence to wound wildlife with a pellet/bb gun and not be able to kill the wounded animal and retrieve the meat. Also note that it is an offence to hunt with a firearm that is designed to be shot with one hand (i.e. a hand gun), regardless of the caliber.

Ethics play a large role in the hunter's decision to hunt with a pellet/bb gun. The hunter should consider whether the method being used is an effective and humane way to harvest an animal, and that the potential for wounding loss or unnecessary suffering is minimized. Hunting big game with a pellet/bb gun is not recommended, besides the fact that it could be considered an offence if the hunter is unable to track and kill the wounded animal with that weapon, most pellet/bb guns do not have the power to ethically and humanely kill an animal. It is highly recommended that if you are hunting with pellet/bb gun that you also carry a rim fire or center fire rifle in the case that a wounded animal needs to be tracked and killed.

In closing, if the air pistol is designed to be shot with one hand, then you would not be able to use it for hunting, as it would be considered an offence.

Regards,

Thanks for posting this moosey. This makes me think of another twist. Since airgun 'handguns' are legal. Could I carry an 'airgun pistol'? I haven't looked up the rules but I think as long as it's not a 'replica' it would be fine. I would start carrying a small pistol airgun if allowed. That would be awesome. I have no idea what's even available.

jlirot, you can carry an airgun pistol ( < 500fps), but not hunt with because it is considered a firearm under the wildlife act (just not the firearms act) and same rules apply as other firearms. Yeah, would be nice. Hence the slingshot as a sidearm.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    Thanks for posting this moosey. This makes me think of another twist. Since airgun 'handguns' are legal. Could I carry an 'airgun pistol'? I haven't looked up the rules but I think as long as it's not a 'replica' it would be fine. I would start carrying a small pistol airgun if allowed. That would be awesome. I have no idea what's even available.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosecall View Post
    jlirot, you can carry an airgun pistol ( < 500fps), but not hunt with because it is considered a firearm under the wildlife act (just not the firearms act) and same rules apply as other firearms. Yeah, would be nice. Hence the slingshot as a sidearm.
    Aha. I saw it as not a firearm - under the firearms act. But, didn't look up the wildlife act.

No interest in stirring the pot - but as an imported (and loving being here!) Yank - I find the handgun laws to be a bit ridiculous here. Of course they're silly in the USA - but for mostly the opposite reasoning. It seems to me that if you're licensed to possess and licensed to hunt - you should be allowed to hunt with. I would love to be able to carry a 22 pistol while hunting. Or a 44 mag in bear country. But, tis what it tis. I sold all my handguns when I walked across that northern line...

Must be a slow time for hunting. People are quibbling about legalities of slingshots..

What if i throw rocks at a grouse?
    Is that a defined method of hunting?
    Is it an offence to kill a grouse with a rock thrown by hand?
    What if its a stick? Same offence or different?
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

I tried to get one with a rock a while back. I missed. ******* didn't flush till the second rock.

AR7 22 subsonic in your backpack unless you r Tarzan with that slingshot!

I’ve gotten a couple grouse with sling shots, and a bunch of tree rats. When I was much younger I used to pack a folding slingshot and some marbles in my pocket while hunting big game. It works, but it’s a bit of an ass pain.

Oh, and I have also killed grouse with thrown rocks, and whacked em with sticks. And once I got one with a fishing rod

I’ve killed literally hundreds of grouse over the years with an old Barnett Diablo and steel bearings. Inside 25 yards it is nothing to punch one completely through a grouse. Zero difference between using a slingshot and instinctively shooting a bow. With a little practice and some hand eye coordination anyone can do it.

Small and heavy ammo like ball bearings or lead buckshot works best over marbles or rocks.

Actually just ordered a pocket shot slingshot for my boy for his birthday next week. Rated at 300 fps.