Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slingshot as side arm?

Hybrid View

Slingshot as side arm?

When hunting deer and other large game and you see a nice big ruffled im sure we all are weighed with a decision. Shoot it with the rifle, and potentially scare away a buck of a lifetime thats waiting around the next corner, or if you're a bowhunter risk losing an arrow and having the meat cost a few bucks per bite. I speak for myself and others I know, by saying a lot of us let the birds walk. My brain started working on a solution when I saw a nice double banded slingshot in a magazine that apparently fires a decent fps and I think it could easily be used to take birds with a little practice. Keep it in a pocket with a handful of ballberrings.

Does anybody do this? Seems to me like a nice way to add a bit of nice meat to the beans and beer when you sit around a fire after the hunt.

Cheers,
    Mike.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Slingshot as side arm?

That grouse already costs 100/oz. Launching a arrow at it is negligible. I never put costs towards any meat i bring home. As for shooting, if im hiking i focus on a targeted species, road hunting ill take what i see.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

Sling shot is most amazing silent weapon there is, use .50cal muzzle loader balls for ammo, very accurate very deadly, through a rabbit broadside easy, split their heart in half, never leave home without a sling, deadly to 10 yards, after a little practice my brother and I can hit a pop can at 7 yards 9/10 times

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Can't speak for the modern store bought ones, but when I was a teenager, my Dad
    and Brothers all had very powerful homemade ones out of live rubber tire tubes.
    They were very deadly for even small animals. My Dad was extremely accurate
    out to 20-30 yards, but he practiced a lot at his job and at home. We used large
    steel ball bearings and shot toward a backstop so that we could save them when
    practicing. We all took many grouse with them as well as rats.

Take a look at one of these slingshots: http://pocketpredator.com/two.html - I don't have one but there's a lot on the web about them.

I have had the standard arm brace style slingshots before but have never felt confident enough to fire one at game. People seem to have great accuracy with the ones linked above.

Km

Sling shot, I do not think they can be used for hunting.

Slingshots are legal for Hunting in British Columbia. Within the effective range of the equipment and Hunter, they can ethically take a variety of Bird and Small Game species. Slingshots are not prohibited anywhere within the Wildlife Act, nor Hunting Regulation component of said Act.

Slingshots are one of many options that can provide a practical solution in situations such as those mentioned by CVMike in the Original Post of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post
    Slingshots are legal for Hunting in British Columbia. Within the effective range of the equipment and Hunter, they can ethically take a variety of Bird and Small Game species. Slingshots are not prohibited anywhere within the Wildlife Act, nor Hunting Regulation component of said Act.

Slingshots are one of many options that can provide a practical solution in situations such as those mentioned by CVMike in the Original Post of this thread.
    EDIT: I'm Wrong! Keep reading!
    I disagree. Page 16 of the regulations clearly spells out the legal hunting methods for BC game. Do you see slingshots listed in the table as a legal way to hunt upland game birds?

Another case where legal and practical are at odds though.
    Last edited by landphil; 01-11-2015 at 10:52 PM.
    Pretend hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by landphil View Post
    I disagree. Page 16 of the regulations clearly spells out the legal hunting methods for BC game. Do you see slingshots listed in the table as a legal way to hunt upland game birds?

Thanks I did not have the regs with me.
    I agree sling shot are fun to use and I would use one in an emergency.
    I do not think sling shot will ever become legal for hunting due to that there is more of a chance of causing pain and suffering to an animal than proper killing an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by landphil View Post

In order for something to be an offense, it must be specifically defined as one within the Law, via legislation. The Synopsis is NOT the Law, it is a guideline to help resource users understand the regulations and laws from the perspective of the Ministry and BC COS. Where in the two differ, the legislation prevails. It is legislation that counts, not the synopsis.

I have read the Wildlife Act, I suggest yourself and all other BC Hunters do likewise. Sling Shots are not prohibited in the legislation, nor are many other methods that are likewise legal.

As for efficacy? Some sling shots are truly fierce. In practiced hands and within their effective range, the sling shot is not a crippler but is a stone cold killer of small species. Make a quality shot with one and it's time to get ready for dinner!
    Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 01-11-2015 at 09:41 PM.