Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting in Hawaii Maui and Lanai

Hunting in Hawaii Maui and Lanai

Hello all, Just wanted to share my hunting experience in lanai Hawaii. This was my second hunt there and this time I was successful. I highly recommend Cody Bradford as a guide. He is a great guy and his prices are reasonable. Cody is able to help you hunt Mouflon sheep and axis deer on the Island of lanai and Deer and Spanish goat on Maui. I saw sheep everyday and the terrain was both unique and beautiful. This hunt is not canned good boots and light weight gloves are a must. If your interested in hunting while in Maui give Cody Bradford a call at 1 801 367 8721

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting in Hawaii Maui and Lanai

Very cool!!! I just got back from 2 weeks on Kauai and have been a number of times. Not sure if you can hunt the deer on Kauai if non-resident (quite frankly I haven't checked) but the wild pigs you definitely can. I think the deer hunting is centered more on the West/North/middle of the island as it's definitely FAR less civilized. My gal thinks I am in idiot for wanting to do the pig hunting with dogs and nothin' but a knife as it is offered .....she reminds me that it is NOT covered under our travel insurance.

Learned this a few trips ago just as a side note but the deer on Kauai are actually transplanted blacktail's from Oregon; assuming I heard the correct info.

MB you aren't turning into a pussy are you, dog and knife is the only way to fly How was the holiday, and yes blacktail from Oregon is correct.

I checked into deer hunting on Kauai last time we were there and yep you can! One of the guides works as a baggage handler at the airport! You can also hunt on Molokai which btw has the best white sand beach I've ever seen!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    MB you aren't turning into a pussy are you, dog and knife is the only way to fly How was the holiday, and yes blacktail from Oregon is correct.
    Haha.....yes need to check for "elevated" travel insurance ie. "losing ones balls to an angry pig".

Trip was great....Poipu the first week and good weather. Hanalei the second week and the weather was 'interesting'.....thank goodness for a gas range in the house we rented as we were without power two of the nights due to VERY high winds.

Wanted to get out and try fishing but had not heard good things recently close to Kauai and doing one of the 2am departures may have been questionable as the winds/seas were apparently pretty high out offshore.
    Last edited by MB_Boy; 01-09-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Next time I get back to Hawaii, I am DEFINITELY going hunting! Probably upland birds on the big island. Seems to be lots of birds around on Kauai and Maui, but I'm not sure of the hunting options there.

Looked into a pig hunt on the Big Island a few years ago, $1500/day, it would be fun though blasting porkers with an AR and a handgun.. Lots of turkeys on the Big Island. HI. state hunting licenses are slow to get for non residents.................how long is your stay, 4 weeks, OK then you will get license in 5 weeks type of deal. Marlin fishing at $700 / day is a better deal.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Hey BCBRAD I had no problem getting a non resident licence, never have. Showed my BC hunter number and paid $95 and my licence is still good until end of the year. Took ten minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by badgreenbird View Post
    Next time I get back to Hawaii, I am DEFINITELY going hunting! Probably upland birds on the big island. Seems to be lots of birds around on Kauai and Maui, but I'm not sure of the hunting options there.
    Kauai must be the chicken capital of the world. There are chickens everywhere! And the roosters wake you up at daybreak...

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterFSJ View Post
    Kauai must be the chicken capital of the world. There are chickens everywhere! And the roosters wake you up at daybreak...
    Hahaha......ain't that the truth. All from a hurricane in 1992 if memory serves me correctly that let TONS of them escape from farms, although they were brought to the island MANY years ago as a food source. Have been there about 5 times now and I remember the first time driving out of the airport and my gal and I were looking around saying "WTF....who left the coop open?"

Some of them are brilliantly coloured!! Thanks to the chickens I have my lucky fishing hat......and a hat that says "yes" to every occasion. Bought it about 5 years ago and it's been everywhere with me; this is a shot of Hanalei Bay about 10 days ago.