Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Shockey's area?

Re: Jim Shockey's area?

Who's flying the "sky van"? Must be a private outfit, as most, if not all commercial guys won't fly you into a lake without the outfitters permission.
    Bread Buttered!
    I think this'll become more common in northern BC, unless quota gets slashed and the outfitters have to become more resident friendly to make a buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonz View Post
    May have an opportunity to hunt Shockey's area in the Yukon for moose are caribou or whatever else. He always say's "see you on the mountain" I wonder what he's going to say when he see's us? We too can fly in argo's if we buck up for the sky van. No Guff!
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Deadshot; 01-09-2015 at 06:57 PM.

Nomad air in Whitehorse has a Sky Van. I don't think they care about who they fly. They like revenue, and I think they have not done a bunch of business with Rogue River after the initial argo drop as seen on the professionals.
    Last edited by Alfonz; 01-10-2015 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    feel your pain. Here in the Yukon, the government recently allowed an area that has been residents only for the last 12 years to be put back into outfitting use. The new outfitter promptly hammered the area for Sheep (North Curl outfitters) and this will impact resident opportunities in this area. The outfitter is currently under no quota for Sheep in his area. In fact, currently here in the Yukon no outfitter is under any quota for Sheep, and guys like Jim Shockey take very Moose they can, which has affected Moose populations in areas accessible to residents. Another situation we have faced here is outfitters working with air services to keep resident hunters out of "their" areas. I have talked to hunters who were flatly refused by air services to fly them in to lakes the outfitter had camps on.
    Yet I bring these sorts of things up with other residents, and no one seems to get to worked up about it. Voting as a block, you think that we hunters could show e politicians who they are supposed to be working for.

I have a hard time believing this complaint. Is there not more moose in the Yukon than people ? I see them passing on lots of smaller large Bulls in there videos also.? Not a very large population of people in the Yukon compaired to its size.

All animals are under strict quotas that get evaluated every 3 years by wildlife biologists, First Nations representatives, outfitters, etc. Get facts straight before posting.
    For non-residents of the Yukon: Information for Non-Resident hunters

Great post Tanya. Amazing what some people will post or copy and paste when they really dont understand.
    I have no fear... angels follow me wherever I go.
    Big & Rich

I had a look thru the link that was posted did find some quota information, but nothing regarding sheep or moose quotas as Husky7mm had reported. It seems like grizzly bears are on quota.
    Tanya, can you provide some insight on this?
    Last edited by Alfonz; 01-10-2015 at 11:02 AM.

1899 Guest

Actually, it wasn't husky7mm but Buck that posted that from a Yukon resident. And all animals are on a "strict quota" for guides here too, and that seems to have worked out really well for residents too, right?

Sheep are not on quota in the Yukon in the majority of the areas. Outfitters are allowed to set their own harvest number and areas are monitored for herd health. The "resident only area" that was referred to was actually an outfitting area that was not being utilized by the owner and recently sold. Last year was the new owner's first year of operation. It doesn't matter where you go to hunt, the best hunting on average is where there is no competition. You can find those places inside and outside outfitting areas. Good luck!

Alfonz; All animals are under strict quotas that get evaluated every 3 years by wildlife biologists, First Nations representatives, outfitters, etc. This is a direct quote from our Vice President - Sales and Business Development. I work for Shockey, and got clarification when I saw the thread. As for non-resident non-alien hunters like you or me, the link provided gives that information. Nothing to stop you or I going into a guiding territory here in B.C. to hunt either. However, in my experience if an outfit is set up in an area, it is likely fairly well combed over.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Where did this information come from? Just a thought....40 -50 trips for a company's aircraft with an outfitter or a handful with residents. Where is the bread buttered?
    sorry my post is just at the very bottom, I cut and pasted the top portion that was posted earlier in the thread originally from buck. I think it is a Yukon residents complaint and I didn't understand it. It seems when you quote a quote with an iPhone things go missing. Peace not my view I don't know anything about the Yukon.
    Last edited by Husky7mm; 01-10-2015 at 09:22 PM.

Most if not all areas someone has the guiding rights !