Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Shockey's area?

Re: Jim Shockey's area?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonz View Post
    May have an opportunity to hunt Shockey's area in the Yukon for moose are caribou or whatever else. He always say's "see you on the mountain" I wonder what he's going to say when he see's us? We too can fly in argo's if we buck up for the sky van. No Guff!
    Any thoughts?
    Are you a resident? Don't you have to be with a licensed outfitter or someone with a resident guide license unless you are a resident?

I asked for his thoughts on the policy via facebook. Have not had a response. I'm sure it was seen.

Quote Originally Posted by 1899 View Post
    Has Jim weighed in on the allocation stuff yet?
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

1899 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Poutine View Post
    Are you a resident? Don't you have to be with a licensed outfitter or someone with a resident guide license unless you are a resident?
    They have a permit to accompany as well. A resident can do this once every three years. I believe the exceptions are grizzly and sheep.

That is a beautiful bull

Its the Yukon and there are tons of big moose everywhere. If it was me I would definitely avoid an area that has an outfitter pounding it every year.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

[feel your pain. Here in the Yukon, the government recently allowed an area that has been residents only for the last 12 years to be put back into outfitting use. The new outfitter promptly hammered the area for Sheep (North Curl outfitters) and this will impact resident opportunities in this area. The outfitter is currently under no quota for Sheep in his area. In fact, currently here in the Yukon no outfitter is under any quota for Sheep, and guys like Jim Shockey take very Moose they can, which has affected Moose populations in areas accessible to residents. Another situation we have faced here is outfitters working with air services to keep resident hunters out of "their" areas. I have talked to hunters who were flatly refused by air services to fly them in to lakes the outfitter had camps on.
    Yet I bring these sorts of things up with other residents, and no one seems to get to worked up about it. Voting as a block, you think that we hunters could show e politicians who they are supposed to be working for.]

I have a hard time believing this complaint. Is there not more moose in the Yukon than people ? I see them passing on lots of smaller large Bulls in there videos also.? Not a very large population of people in the Yukon compaired to its size.

Last edited by Husky7mm; 01-10-2015 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 325 wsm View Post
    Some good genetics for moose there. If you want a big one do some research and go to a place he hasnt hunted for a couple years. he probably still has cabins at Misty, Arrowhead, Einerson, West, Penape, M+M, Pleasant and Little Kalzas just to name a few. Heres a Booner from M+M lakes circa @1997

good luck
    Wow, what a beauty, now I'm sport'in a booner.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    feel your pain. Here in the Yukon, the government recently allowed an area that has been residents only for the last 12 years to be put back into outfitting use. The new outfitter promptly hammered the area for Sheep (North Curl outfitters) and this will impact resident opportunities in this area. The outfitter is currently under no quota for Sheep in his area. In fact, currently here in the Yukon no outfitter is under any quota for Sheep, and guys like Jim Shockey take very Moose they can, which has affected Moose populations in areas accessible to residents. Another situation we have faced here is outfitters working with air services to keep resident hunters out of "their" areas. I have talked to hunters who were flatly refused by air services to fly them in to lakes the outfitter had camps on.
    Yet I bring these sorts of things up with other residents, and no one seems to get to worked up about it. Voting as a block, you think that we hunters could show e politicians who they are supposed to be working for.

I have a hard time believing this complaint. Is there not more moose in the Yukon than people ? I see them passing on lots of smaller large Bulls in there videos also.? Not a very large population of people in the Yukon compaired to its size.

Where did this information come from? Just a thought....40 -50 trips for a company's aircraft with an outfitter or a handful with residents. Where is the bread buttered?
    Last edited by Tanya; 01-09-2015 at 06:14 PM.

If I was going to spend money on a fly in hunting trip, it sure wouldn't be where there's a outfitter, all his guides and his clients hunting the same animals I was.

1899 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Where did this information come from? Just a thought....40 -50 trips for a company's aircraft with an outfitter or a handful with residents. Where is the bread buttered?
    Ask Husky7mm.