Thread: Duck boat paint

Duck boat paint

I am looking to paint an aluminum boat flat brown and am having a time trying to find paint, stores I call tell it doesn't exist yet I see it on boats in the marsh all the time, what do you guys use on your boats I know its not going to last for ever, hell probably only last a season. where can I find flat brush on paint??
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Duck boat paint

When we had our punt painted the painter tols us the important thing was the primer. If you youse the correct aluminum primer you can put a veriety of paints over it. Ours was painted with a type of acrilic plastic over the aluminum primer. It has lasted for 7 seasons now. Try an auto body supply store.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by lip_ripper00 View Post
    I am looking to paint an aluminum boat flat brown and am having a time trying to find paint, stores I call tell it doesn't exist yet I see it on boats in the marsh all the time, what do you guys use on your boats I know its not going to last for ever, hell probably only last a season. where can I find flat brush on paint??
    Home Depot, flat acrylic latex. I would take a green scrubby to the whole boat then prime with Bullseye 123 before you add your topcoat. Get the paint store to put some black tint in the primer so when your topcoat chips it'll be grey underneath. I've got a pretty good brown if you want the code! K

Lordco, they'll have everything you need, ask for a "Spec" sheet that's tells you what to do and in what order. I'd say make sure the boat is real clean to start, then take what ever they say for a "Etch" primer, then they'll say to use a epoxy primer, DP 40 is one, spray it on, let dry to touch, weather depending, then use what ever type paint the "Paint Guy" behind the counter says to use, and wear a "Mask"!!! And "Gloves"!!! When using any type of paint or solvent, remember the "3-30" rule, it only takes 3 seconds for the paint or solvent to penetrate your bare skin, and within 30 second's it's in your organs such as "Liver, Kidneys etc"! Jeez, for living proof, just look at me!!!

Krylon sells a camo paint.
    http://www.krylon.com/products/camou...ic-technology/

I bought some thru Home Depot when I painted up a gun of mine.

Thanks for the quick replies, this color is field drab and I have found a few gallons so I am going with it, will etch with the proper primer and have at'er!
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Roin
    Quail is the virgin
    Duck is the mature woman
    .....Iron Chef

might be a wise idea to find an aluminum primer because without it it wont stay on very long

Quote Originally Posted by lip_ripper00 View Post
    Steve - you really have two choices here - get the good stuff here

Or use the cheap crap...... from bitter experience, it's worth just buying a can of the good stuff, and doing the job once.
    One rifle - one planet - Holland's 375.

People are like balls of yarn, for the most part they are boring and useless - but I still get a lot of pleasure watching them unravel!! (GC)

Gods own country

I was in the same boat and could not find a product in Canada. You've got good advice above so I will simply pass some additional advice from a fellow in Ladner at Stillwater sports: wooden deck paint. I had a custom brownish green mixed up at a paint store and it still is on my boat fifteen years later. My 12 footer took about 3/4 of a gallon both inside and out. The only place I've had to touch-up were the inside where oars and gas tank wore through after a few years. I used aluminum primer before painting, which you will want to ensure is applied in a well ventilated area! Another handy tip was that I applied the paint when the primer was just slightly tacky, something I read on a boating website and that paint has seen a lot of rocks and sand without wearing. A secondary, but significant benefit was the primer and paint sealed every loose rivet and seam, making it the most water-tight boat I've ever owned.