Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carp in elk lake

Carp in elk lake

I stumbled across a u tube of carp fishing in Elk Lake,Victoria.Does anybody here fish carp?I'm curious-Why,when and how?does anybody eat them? With trout bass and salmon in abundance why eat carp?I know they are a popular target for bow fishing,but never seen anybody here do it. What time of year?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Carp in elk lake

My understanding is that they are invasive species that somebody has introduced to the lake. I believe they are being targeted to try and rid the waters of them.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Asians love Carp, along with everything else! K

I love carp fishing an awesome fish all around, first of all it is the most eaten fish in the world, it does taste good and it's easy to cook, we have smoked it and it's great, but you can cook it pretty much any other way.

fishing them is so much fun with a rod or a bow, they are very smart and can provide some serious fighting ability, pound for pound one of the toughest fighters, find some big ones 30" and bigger

fly fishing for them with aquatic insect flies, sight fishing for them is epic, cast and soak carp baits, tenkara for small ones to 2lbs is lots of fun

for bow fishing the bright sunny calm days are the best while they feed you see the ripples they make and you get close and wait until the surface and let it rip, use a sling bow, make one for 50 bucks or just use a bow and buy a spool attachment for it

Yes,carp are an invasive species in Elk lake as are perch and bullfrogs and that if for no other reason it's a good idea to get rid of them.I know carp can be taken in the spring,but do they come into shallow water to feed in the winter?

Island Outfitters has a bit of a ongoing derby for them. Most end up fertilizer. From what I've seen and read, a hunk of bait sitting on the bottom early in a morning near the beaches is the ticket. Haven't heard of anyone having any luck in the cooler months.

Carp are very smart, one of the smartest fish there is so small hook, small presentation, lighter leader will work, think of them less as a trash fish and more of a great sporting Fish and people need to get the idea that trout are the ultimate fish and it would be blasphemous to think of fishing for anything else around here haha

Quote Originally Posted by Steelpulse View Post
    Carp are very smart, one of the smartest fish there is so small hook, small presentation, lighter leader will work, think of them less as a trash fish and more of a great sporting Fish and people need to get the idea that trout are the ultimate fish and it would be blasphemous to think of fishing for anything else around here haha
    The Asians using bent nails and gummy worms in the sloughs of Ladner must be quite the Carp whisperers then! Hahahaha....... K

They can certainly spot a fake cheese ball when they see it.

So,do carp bite in the winter here in elk lake?I was thinking it might not be a bad way to spend some time in the off season,toss out a line,sit in a lawn chair with a thermos of hot coffee
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 01-07-2015 at 07:42 AM.