Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: BC RESIDENTS that are GOABC GUIDES

Re: BC RESIDENTS that are GOABC GUIDES

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    Not a SINGLE one of you can say this decision is BEST FOR BC RESIDENTS OR OUR FUTURE, give your heads a shake, your a spit in the can compared to The owner and boss your kissin butt for. Yes I to got to see incredible areas I could never afford.
    Once I realized it was nothing butt SUCKING UP TO BY YOUR BOSS AND OWNERS TOO BY THE PURCHASER OF SAID TRIP and had enough of being used, realized what it was doing ..... NOTHING MORE THEN A COMMERCIAL INDUSTRY....... NOT THE BEST THING FOR OUR future, for our kids for our grand kids, NOTHING BUT A BIG SELL OFF.
    I GREW UP , GREW SOME BALLS AND SAID Enough !

Your only lookong kong after yourselves for now, not the future , and NONE of you admit it.

Greedy sons of - itches
    WAKE UP THE SELL OFF OF YOUR BIG GAME AND OPPORTUNITY HAS ARRIVED.

a merry christmas to as to you all
    Wow do you ever jump to comclusions and make assumptions about folks you don't even know.

I follow this with interest as I've worked in the GO Industry for several years. As a few others have said, I never did it for the $$$$, met some incredible folks and made a few life time friends. I was always treated with respect by the GO's and never felt taken advantage of.

Yes I am fortunate I have another job that gives me all the other "perks" we enjoy (medical, dental, pension etc.) and it pays great. Sorry I don't feel threatened by the current allocation policy and not because I have my "head up the GO's ass". I don't roll that way. Is it good for BC residents? Time will tell but since I don't feel threatened by it, I don't put a whole lot of thought into it. Is it selfish? Perhaps but you won't see me pounding either a GOABC or BCWF drum either as I do what I do for reasons personal to me.
    If I had kids, I'd encourage them to get an education and yes give guiding a try. Sounds like you didn't fair too well at your hand at guiding but please don't paint the whole industry with the same brush.
    Finally, if I don't respond to the plethora of questions that you are probably gonna ask it's because I honestly have bigger fish to fry. I just thought I'd add my $0.02. Merry Xmas.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123
    Sorry I don't feel threatened by the current allocation policy
    Immediately I go from a mathematical good chance of a Roosevelt draw once in my life time to having to live to well over a hundred years to get those odds. That doesn't make you feel threatened? I guess you don't need to rely on resident hunter rules working for a guide to get the hunts you want but I really do hope you open your eyes and see the big picture some day soon. What is given up now will never come back. The government would have to buy this free gift to the GOABC. And, they won't stop here this is just a crack in the door. Have a nice Christmas.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

CT

You must have had real asshat or you were the problem........yes, there is asshats in all walks of life...I work for one now....

The GO I worked for would pay for me to travel from home to the area and back again, whether it was by plane or vehicle. I would go down to the shows in the US and he would pay for the whole trip, along with my wages as well.

He was a resident first and was never worried about other residents hunting.

However, he also had a real job and the guiding was just a hobby for him. And to me, that is one of the biggest problems with the current GO business. Too many have bought territories with the thought of making it their livelihood and when the realized they could not, they are now asking for MORE to share up their business.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I understand where you are coming from CT. It's unfortunate that you had a poor experience with your employer, but I see what others are saying. They are not all the same. But, these guides trying to defend the industry, before the resident hunter is dumb founding. One day they will realize, when they are older, and wiser, that for their own personal gain, they sold out their fellow man and ancestors, for the benefit of a few including themselves. Pretty sad.....
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    WTF? People across all walks of life do this everyday in BC. If a guy is content making minimum wage flipping burgers or content making a bit more out in the mountains doing hard work and something he/she enjoys....... If another guy wants to own the business and wine and dine to further his business good for him/her too. THAT IS BUSINESS!!!!! You've all become the judge and jury on much more than you should be.
    x2 Carl. I'm all for a fair dist of allocation for residents and one that supports the hunting industry in BC. But some of this is getting just as ridiculous as the crap the antis spew.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    CT

The GO I worked for would pay for me to travel from home to the area and back again, whether it was by plane or vehicle. I would go down to the shows in the US and he would pay for the whole trip, along with my wages as well.

He was a resident first and was never worried about other residents hunting.

However, he also had a real job and the guiding was just a hobby for him. And to me, that is one of the biggest problems with the current GO business. Too many have bought territories with the thought of making it their livelihood and when the realized they could not, they are now asking for MORE to share up their business.

Cheers

SS
    Ding ding ding ding ding....... nailed it Ken! When I was a little kid my dad was a guide for several years every fall. He also did other things through the year pipeline work etc to barely make ends meet. The GO he worked for was also a rancher, logger and raised horses in the off season. But now the GOABC has convinced the government that they need ensure that GOs make good money from their business soley, guiding about 1/4 of the year. And at the expense of people that actually fund the coffers, resident hunters of BC. Corporate welfare plain and simple.

Maybe if the residents put some effort in hunting wolves my allocation would still be 18 moose over 5 years instead of 6. Greedy outfitter I guess i am.

I spend Christmas eve decorating trees with cables snares and will head out to check bait stations today. Commitment to increasing wildlife is my priority which benefits the residents far more then my business. You can ask anyone that comes to my area if they see a little bit of effort can make a difference.

Good luck C H I hope your traps find their mark! Happy holidays and good trapping to you

Unless you have targeted wolves as a primary prey you have done little to help ungulates so quit your whining. If everyone did their part including a pile of lazy outfitters (which I am surrounded by) this conversation never would have started and GOS would be the norm everywhere in the province.

I made the choice to buy an outfit and make a business out of it. This did not change the fact I am a resident hunter as are my wife and kids. Call me crazy but I even take resident hunters hunting, (what a shock.) I expect to be treated as i have treated them and hope they respect me enough not to spread the word where they hunted.
    For the most part I believe people are honest and respectful which I why I take people for their word and will continue to in the future. Some of the comments on HBC has my theory in doubt, there are actually more resentful hunting assclowns in the world then I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Good luck C H I hope your traps find their mark! Happy holidays and good trapping to you
    Thanks Salty/
    Same to you.