Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: BC RESIDENTS that are GOABC GUIDES

Re: BC RESIDENTS that are GOABC GUIDES

Yep, had the same experience. Less residents willing to work for bugger all when there are oil patch or mining jobs available. More kiwis looking for an adventure coming to guide and happy to be paid bugger all. Kinda like migrant farm workers.

good thing the oil and gas industry doesn't exploit workers for profit.

The GO I worked for paid me well for the work, rented my quad off me when I needed it, let me look after the whole program for the area I worked in and treated me very fair. If I did not get a tip or got short changed on a tip (only happened twice....but that is is for another story), he covered my tip. He also gave me bonuses at the end of the season, covered my Ass. Guide Lic fee and there was a multiple of other great things about working for him.

The best part is that he knew I hunted in the same area as I guided in and he gave me the cabin and equipment to use when ever I wanted them.

I was a guide for the adventure and experience, not for the pay or pension plan. If you are looking to make lots of money, try the patch.....if you are looking to have fun and meet some interesting people, plus get to do something you love, then guiding can be a lot of fun.

Not all GO are asshats.

Cheers

SS
    Last edited by Sitkaspruce; 12-24-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

We could all start applying for jobs and them leave them hanging.
    Or buy a tag, land the job, and tag out and quit.

I'm just going to take the boys from the rez hunting in the guides areas that I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    Not all GO are asshats.

Cheers

SS
    I worked for one years ago and treated me great and was good to Resident hunters, but that was in the 70's.
    " You know you're in Goat country when it takes both arms
    and legs to climb and you can spit down on sheep". Patrick Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Extra points to whomever can post the best pic of Christys boobs!
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

oh look, something new, a GOABC thread.
    how original.

who are you to tell someone where they should work or who they should work for?
    much more important than money is doing something you enjoy.
    and there's no shortage of jobs where you are busting your balls for your ungrateful boss.
    you found out the hard way that you were busting your balls for your boss?? and that they were cashing in off of your work????
    well, you weren't working for yourself.
    what on earth did you think was happening??
    that's how employment works.
    no future as a hired guide?
    maybe there wasn't for you, but I think some will disagree with you.
    and besides, many people these days are doing whatever jobs they are doing simply to pay the bills.
    lots of people these days don't have the luxury of dreaming of the future.
    do you have better employment to offer those that you are advising to stop guiding?

I was a guide for the adventure and experience, not for the pay or pension plan. If you are looking to make lots of money, try the patch.....if you are looking to have fun and meet some interesting people, plus get to do something you love, then guiding can be a lot of fun.

Not all GO are asshats.

Cheers

SS[/QUOTE]

yep, if you are looking to become rich by guiding (same as working for anybody) you are in for a disappointment. I'm glad I did it, especially the stuff in the NWT but am not interested in doing it again.

Having said that I would go to work for a GO tomorrow instead of a sawmill or the oil patch. Luckily I have to do none of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Foreign guides are the norm now eh? Missed that first time, glad our stolen resident hunter allocation is at least creating jobs
    YEA and again for FOREIGNers who will work for near nothing just to be here ! RJ

The GO I worked for paid me well for the work, rented my quad off me when I needed it, let me look after the whole program for the area I worked in and treated me very fair. If I did not get a tip or got short changed on a tip (only happened twice....but that is is for another story), he covered my tip. He also gave me bonuses at the end of the season, covered my Ass. Guide Lic fee and there was a multiple of other great things about working for him.

The best part is that he knew I hunted in the same area as I guided in and he gave me the cabin and equipment to use when ever I wanted them.

Not all GO are asshats.

Cheers

SS
    Same here! The outfit I guided for payed well and was a great guy. Always a "few" assholes in all groups with their hidden agenda's! Doesn't mean they are all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteys View Post
    WTF? People across all walks of life do this everyday in BC. If a guy is content making minimum wage flipping burgers or content making a bit more out in the mountains doing hard work and something he/she enjoys....... If another guy wants to own the business and wine and dine to further his business good for him/her too. THAT IS BUSINESS!!!!! You've all become the judge and jury on much more than you should be.
    The difference I see here is the product they sell belongs to the BC public

Not all GO are asshats.

Cheers

SS

Great at post SS!

like others have said, if locals don't want the work or the adventure - there are plenty of Kiwis, Aussies and Brits that would jump at the opportunity.

I really can't see why this bitch fest is brewing!
    Last edited by Ranger95; 12-25-2014 at 08:15 AM.
    One rifle - one planet - Holland's 375.

People are like balls of yarn, for the most part they are boring and useless - but I still get a lot of pleasure watching them unravel!! (GC)

Gods own country