Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: BC RESIDENTS that are GOABC GUIDES

guest Guest

BC RESIDENTS that are GOABC GUIDES

You need to ask yourself.

What is My employer doing for me and my family ?
    Do I belong to a credible pension plan ?
    Do I provide enough for me and my entire family working for the Owner of the Territory?
    Do I receive benefits in the form of Extended Health, Dental, Medical Insurance for me and my family ? If so what if some thing happens to me in regards to Health or a Accident ?
    Do I think my kids and future grand kids will have fair and equitable opportunity in regards to hunting in the future?
    What will I do should the Economy turn and I can't make ends meet ?
    Am I compensated fairly given the Dollars my Boss or owner is making ? Maybe I could sell the guns, knives, bino's and boots that my Happy Clients have given me?

Can ANY BC RESIDENT THAT IS ALSO A GUIDE SAY that the Present Allocation Agreed by the Government and GOABC is GOOD for the Resident HUNTER ?

Having worked in the Guiding industry I personally can answer NO to almost every Question above.
    I found out the hard way I was busting my balls for the owners and companies that CASHED IN off the backs of us guides.
    I found out that YES I could see area's I could never afford to access myself, and when I was young it was great. I quickly found out I was no SMOOZER breaking my back for Non residents. There is NO future as a HIRED GUIDE, only the owners or Partners that RIDE high in the Saddle off your BACK !

Wake up ! These decisions are NO GOOD for you as a resident hunter, guide or not.

I ask for the GOABC to go Back to the Table with the Liberal Government and Hunters around BC to find a Reasonable, Respectful Decision for ALL Parties INVOLVED.

In SOLIDARITY for BC RESIDENTS and HUNTERS

Stay Strong, Stay Together !

CT
    Last edited by guest; 12-24-2014 at 02:22 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: BC RESIDENTS that are GOABC GUIDES

Another thing I'd add to that CT is if by chance any Outfitters in BC succeeded from (quit) GOABC I'd do the opposite of boycotting them. Ditto to what you've said in most of these outfitters taking advantage of young hunting enthusiasts and luring them in to underpaid and undervalued very hard work with the title 'guide'. They're expected to live off of tips essentially.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

guest Guest

Taking advantage to say the least

Heard this Before " Tell ya what Kid, Bust your Balls for me for 5 seasons and I'll let cha take your own Ram ........ If you really go over the top Maybe 3 Seasons "

sound familiar to some of you ?

Very Under compensated, under appreciated by the Rich that get Richer at the Top of the Saddle.

CT

Sounds like you were dealt a raw deal , and hold some resentment . No need to down play what is a great work experience , for anybody.
    The doors swing both ways and the trail runs north and south , and usually anyone going in to the job should have no surprises if they do their homework .
    So anyone going in as a assistant guide or a wrangler or a cook or a camp jack is doing so of their own free will .
    How is that 'taking advantage' ?
    Just like hunting , its not all about what you put into the freezer or your pocket . Its far more than just a job. If it is nothing more and you don't like the job or hold a grudge against the G/O , its time to move on .
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

So you're saying they should be content to work for nothing boxhitch? There's a difference between hunting on your own time to investing several months of time with no other income as a young assistant guide or guide. Meanwhile their employer's association is wining dining and funding the government to get more quota that adds 100s of thousands of dollars to the value of the business. I think this is a good time for a thread like this for those thinking about getting in to the business to consider what they're getting in to.

So you're saying they should be content to work for nothing boxhitch? There's a difference between hunting on your own time to investing several months of time with no other income as a young assistant guide or guide.
    WTF? People across all walks of life do this everyday in BC. If a guy is content making minimum wage flipping burgers or content making a bit more out in the mountains doing hard work and something he/she enjoys....... If another guy wants to own the business and wine and dine to further his business good for him/her too. THAT IS BUSINESS!!!!! You've all become the judge and jury on much more than you should be.
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

Getting an expense paid 3 month holiday in the mountains can be in itself enough for some . It may involve a little or a lot of sweat , and a few bug bites and usually some trouble that can be labelled as ' character building ' , but the work ethic usually is pretty strong in those applying so no real hardship , nothing that will last forever anyways
    So even at $50 a day take-home , at the end that could be 4-5 k$ in a lump , plus whatever bonuses or tips or swag .
    Not many local boys are taking it up , there are more and more foreigners coming for a good time .

OK boxhitch I'll put you down for pro minimum wage. lol. No one's telling anyone how to think just putting out facts they can decide for themselves.

Foreign guides are the norm now eh? Missed that first time, glad our stolen resident hunter allocation is at least creating jobs

Can't comment on any percentage or total numbers , but have seen more in recent years . The Kiwis love it here , and are good workers and good hunters