Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the future of hunting

Re: the future of hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Grolar View Post
    I'm 19 now and I want to know if I will get the same hunting opportunity on caribou, goats, thinhorn, and moose in 40 years in 6,7a and 7b.... I know its a hard question but I'm worried every thing will be closed for hunting, leh zones everywhere and goats, sheep, moose, and caribou will be leh only.... I know that region 5 is pretty much leh for goats but will the odds just increase over the years in all leh.....will the regulations kinda stay the same for sheep and goats.....what do you guys think about
    cheers.

In 40 years time you will have everything on your list to hunt, that's just as long as you have deep enough pockets to pay for it.

Thats how it works in Africa and Europe - that's how it will end up here - might as well get used to the idea.

GOABC and the First Nations will have it all!
    One rifle - one planet - Holland's 375.

People are like balls of yarn, for the most part they are boring and useless - but I still get a lot of pleasure watching them unravel!! (GC)

Gods own country

If we do what we've always done, we will get what we've always got. We need nature to hunt. Voting for mainline money\growth political parties means unending destruction of nature. "Growth" is code word for destruction. It gets votes and their paychecks. This generation received a very wild and abundant province from the preceding generation but is flushing it down the drain for gluttonous consumerism. There are box stores for hunting which means the majority of hunters are suckered by the same "gotta have it" marketers creating endless perceived needs most all of which end up in landfill. This is global and seemingly incurable until it self destructs. Experience hunting now so that you can at least say....( I remember when. ) Finite biosphere and infinite consumption is a dog that won't hunt. A mass extinction is underway and most are blithely unaware of it... perhaps denial. http://www.mysterium.com/extinction.html.

Quote Originally Posted by zippermouth View Post
    ya this is a great idea. its too bad only one of the two groups is working with conservation in mind.
    good thinking...lets shoot the idea down before it even is conceived...awesome..thanks for coming out champ

I know eventually its going to come down to money......but will there going to be general open seasons for deer, bear......I can see in 20 or 30 years that region 3 moose will only be leh.....they might close any bull for archery season in the koots maybe.....and sheep and goat will all be leh too maybe....things like that but FNs selling game to residents?
    Another hunt another story

there should be no way for bc residents to loose their hunting opportunities we have today. we will have to adapt and manage accordingly. create more habitat, deactivate roads. whatever it takes. but I am hoping I see a GOS that is similar to what we have today, for my lifetime.

Good things come and good things go I guess, 90's the koots had no elk, 2000's they were back, Now it seems that they are on the decline again. I am 42 and lived in Cranbrook for almost 30 yrs I have seen it first hand, I think management has a lot to do with it for sure, Now deer are on the way out also. Game management will be the deciding factor 40 yrs from now.

If you look back 30 years, there was GOS in Region 3 on bull moose, bull caribou, anterless mule deer. 40 years ago, there was GOS on cow moose and cow caribou - in areas where caribou are now essentially extinct and moose are scarce. On the other hand, elk and whitetail are now appearing where they were absent 30-40 years ago. That trend will likely continue, especially in the southern part of the province: less caribou, moose, mule deer and more elk and whitetail.

My predictions for 30-40 years:

GOS rifle: whitetail, bear, elk, possible shorter mule buck GOS

LEH/archery: moose, sheep, goat, mule deer, elk during rut

LEH in select areas or completely protected: caribou, grizzly

In 40 years, I don't expect GOS on moose, sheep, goat, or caribou anywhere in the province unless hunter numbers and hunter interest plunge, or use of new technology and motorized access are sharply curtailed.

I expect additional "opportunities" to pay for hunting on private deeded/leased land and FN-controlled land.

Quote Originally Posted by Argali View Post
    If you look back 30 years, there was GOS in Region 3 on bull moose, bull caribou, anterless mule deer. 40 years ago, there was GOS on cow moose and cow caribou - in areas where caribou are now essentially extinct and moose are scarce. On the other hand, elk and whitetail are now appearing where they were absent 30-40 years ago. That trend will likely continue, especially in the southern part of the province: less caribou, moose, mule deer and more elk and whitetail.

My predictions for 30-40 years:

GOS rifle: whitetail, bear, elk, possible shorter mule buck GOS

LEH/archery: moose, sheep, goat, mule deer, elk during rut

LEH in select areas or completely protected: caribou, grizzly

In 40 years, I don't expect GOS on moose, sheep, goat, or caribou anywhere in the province unless hunter numbers and hunter interest plunge, or use of new technology and motorized access are sharply curtailed.

I expect additional "opportunities" to pay for hunting on private deeded/leased land and FN-controlled land.
    I definitely agree with the motorized access part you mentioned...I think if we cut down access, our hunting will be better....if you think about it, there were twice as many hunters in BC in the 80's, but far less access...hence why hunting was for the most part better then now...we need a certain amount of logging spur road de-activated!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    IMO if hunters continue to infight and piss and moan about who gets what, the non hunting public will hear the voices of the loud minority that want an end to our hunting heritage and their votes will bring an end to what many of us hold near and dear to our hearts. I am sickened by what I am currently seeing going on. Both sides need a swift kick in the ass. They are pissing away our future by playing politics. Hunters against hunters. Friends are now the foe. The antis in this province are giddy with glee.
    this is the truth ^^

Till the greed is put aside and hunters learn to have give and take between all groups things will go down hill

what about blacktailed deer?....will they be a shortage
    Another hunt another story