Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the future of hunting

Re: the future of hunting

in 40 years?
    you'll be 59.
    I'd be trying to get as many of those hunts in as you can well before then.

well I mean I what to get my five animals I always wanted to harvest (stone sheep, goat, grizzly, moose, and caribou) that's my dream before the age 40 hits
    Another hunt another story

Quote Originally Posted by Grolar View Post
    well I mean I what to get my five animals I always wanted to harvest (stone sheep, goat, grizzly, moose, and caribou) that's my dream before the age 40 hits
    shouldn't be that hard.
    move to the Yukon and geterdun all in one year.

IMO if hunters continue to infight and piss and moan about who gets what, the non hunting public will hear the voices of the loud minority that want an end to our hunting heritage and their votes will bring an end to what many of us hold near and dear to our hearts. I am sickened by what I am currently seeing going on. Both sides need a swift kick in the ass. They are pissing away our future by playing politics. Hunters against hunters. Friends are now the foe. The antis in this province are giddy with glee.

Yep, I'm a youth hunter still and I'm also worried about this situation...shit seems to be hittin the fan and I'm not sure I like it. In the end I just hope my kids will get the same hunting opportunities that me, and my parents have had so far

Alot of FH own the guideoutfitters !

From what I've seen in the bush and hanging in butcher cooling rooms (pre-season) there won't be much left for us or the folks that brought that meat to the butchers. "Stewards of the wilderness" my a$$.
    It's only when you see a mosquito land on your testicles that you realize there are other ways to deal with problems than violence.

Unfortunately the same people on here that say energy development is priority in this province Rd the ones that are screwing the up coming generations out of hinting opportunities that we have now, habitat is number one in conservation and there are many ready to sell out for a retirement find in the near future. I can only wish you will have the opportunities we have now in the near future.

give your head a shake people that are screwing us .

OP: for now join the fight against GOABC and it'll be a good start toward your long term hunting ambitions..

If you look at the very long term, there have been many times when all was doom and the end was nigh. However, things seemed to work out ok. So don't get overly worked up about any one specific issue and keep you eye on the long term. If you look far into the future there are a few things that are pretty clear

BC will have more people. Projected to be 6.1 million by 2041. They will need land, and highways, and electricity. This means fewer animals in some areas. The good news is that people like to live in a few places (vancouver, vancouver island, okanagan) so some places will it see a lot more pressure but other places will still be quiet. Bottom line for hunters is more people are hard on wildlife. Less habitat and more pressure.
    The climate will change and some animals will benefit (black bear, elk, whitetail) while some will lose (caribou, stone sheep, and maybe moose).
    First Nations will own more land. Maybe some. Maybe lots. As landowners they will be able to restrict access.

There will still be lots of wildlife, but maybe different species in different places. We are so lucky to have general open season on species like stone sheep today. We should not take it for granted it will continue.

So, if I was young, I would do three things
    Get involved. All these changes will require people to help make decisions and guide the changes (land use, regulations, enhancement)
    Don't panic and remain rational. There will be lots of animals, even if they are a little different species than today and in different places. We love bison hunting today but that was not an option for my grandfather!
    Go for your caribou hunt in the next ten years. There will be lots of elk in the future, but not so many caribou.