Thread: Last Waterfowl of 2014

Last Waterfowl of 2014

I have just returned from region 8 with Fowlanguage from the last Waterfowl hunt of 2014:

I had the time of my life, met some great people, and got to spend some time with my good friend Fowlanguage.

Oh yeah… killed some ducks and geese too.

Yes it was an excellent early Christmas present Fowlanguage gave me. Promoted to number Two because of the absence of one Foxton Gundogs

who was feting his Smart, Strong, and Beautiful Wife: Cedar Cowgirl on her birthday week-end. Which meant I knew I was not only under Fowl's spot light but Foxton's as well.

The trip started as always with a lecture on let’s say the itinerary and code of conduct.

“Now Biggyun a lot is expected of you on this trip so you need to shut the F#@k up and listen.” Got my attention as it always does.

“First thing you are in charge of making sure everything in this truck that we need gets to where it needs to be when it needs to be there:

Second thing you have to do that without me telling you:

Third thing you need to make sure that the things I forget are remembered:

Fourth thing you need to leave your f@#ckng cell phone in the truck or I am going to shoot it:

Fifth thing we will be shooting with some directors and very experienced hunters so you need to shut the f@#k up and listen for the whole trip:

Sixth thing your are in charge of making sure everything else gets done that I have not mentioned:

And Lastly you are not the rookie on this trip:

Are we clear?” Fowl growled!

Ohh…” and sly sh*t eating grin came over that big bearded face: “Do you think you can do all that and be on time?”

Note: The lecture was actually 68 minutes straight: I have just pared it down to the vital bits.

I said “yes…” While I wondered how I was going to be “Shut the F@#k upped and crow to everybody I wasn't the rookie.”

Well Old Fowl got that big mischievous grin on his face and said “Good!” And in a gentle tone he only saves for his friends “He asked how are you?”

I knew he was concerned about me and part of this trip was to get me away from the scene. I am going through a separation from my wife.

We had planned a trip this Christmas back in the spring to visit her parents in New Brunswick. She kept the plans but naturally uninvited me.

What made matters worse was that my daughters 13th birthday was on the Sunday and I would of course not be there for that either. Although

the separation is for the most part amicable it is not without its angst and tension. Add the season to it and was a bit of a trial.

So with a heavy heart, a need to vent and ,I have to admit a bit of revenge for the lecture in my mind, I took advantage of Fowl’s offer and

talked out the bullshit and blues of my life as I knew it. When I was done I think I actually saw a drop of blood drip from Fowl’s ear.

But back to the Hunt: We arrived at our destination Thursday evening and unloaded the truck. Fowl had packed it in such a way that the first

thing you had to unload was the spare tire. I hefted it out and leaned it against the truck. Working hard because I wanted to go to bed I had

most of the truck unloaded when Fowlanguage came up and said: “Biggyun where is my spare tire?” I did not even look when I pointed against

the truck and said ‘right there!” I felt a poke on my shoulder I looked around to see fowl’s quizzical face and his eyes looked at me and then to

his right. I followed his gaze and there rolling slowly down the road about 100 meters away was the spare tire.

Now being in my forties meant I was smart enough to think before I ran down the street to chase the tire. “Was it accelerating, was it going to

causer any damage, could I even catch it?” All answers came back no! So Old fowl and Biggyun watched as the tire wobbled and weaved through

picnic tables, a gap in a hedge and around a BBQ to finally flop down to rest on a lawn. We had a great big laugh and then Fowl growled at me

“Go get my tire…”

The next morning we woke up early to see the first flight and then spent the rest of the day driving hundreds of kilometers find every goose in

that particular part of region 8.

As usual I learned a ton about water fowling, driving dump truck, Big game hunting, Allocation and the Guides, commercial fishing, farming,

and parenting. I had a blast. And in the same vein we were able to develop a plan of attack on hunting the geese.

It was around Brunch when Fowl’s phone started buzzing and ringing:

Fowl looked up from his liver and onions and said “Go for Dale:”
    Last edited by biggyun68; 12-22-2014 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Every day in the bush is a day you get back from the Reaper!

VGC
    SVRGC
    BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Last Waterfowl of 2014

Biggyun68
    Fowl pulled the same nonsense on me about 32 years ago the first time I went whitetail hunting with him, too funny. Thankfully we have about the same sense of humour and have had MANY adventures since with varying degrees of sucess. The last time I hunted together with fowl I had the biggest laugh to my self listening to him school your daughter and the other young fellow in the blind. I don't think Maddy cared to much as she talked my ear off for the 3 hours we sat there.
    Bog
    Pull the trigger all the way back.

I always love these stories. Your first experience last year was a great read. Looking forward to more.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

hopefully biggy will share the story of the ditch and the advantage of having 3 Labrador RETRIEVERS that can do the job for you. I would suggest that biggy would do this sooner then later as if foxton gundogs should get ahold of this. as it is such a classic he might go for a patent on the story. focus biggy focus
    "Hunting For HEALTH Not TROPHIES"