Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to make a gear trolly

Re: Need to make a gear trolly

Somewhere I do. It's 4'x8'. Fits in a long box. Used a sheet of plywood for the floor. The frame or box is all angle iron and a couple flat braces on bottom or side. Used like plastic gardening fencing and zap strapped it to angle iron. Best route is stronger axles. You can get mountain bike tires with a 3/4" hole to accept an axle. We just welded nuts and screwed bike tires into. Is fine until load gets heavy enough.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Re: Need to make a gear trolly

IMHO experience dragging crap and gear over various substrates I have come to learn that bike tires are fine except when it matters. Skinny wheels suck in the mud beyond reproach. Best thing I ever did was make a 2 wheel cart with the front wheels off a garden tractor. massive solid axle and 20 pounds of wood/bolts screws. Thing wieghs a ton BUT when balanced it will roll 300 pounds of boat, motor, decoys ,lunch, and WHY as easy as pie over dyke and ditch.

My axle rides in a groove in a 2x4 and only has maybe 5-6 inches of clearance I thought it would be too low but has not been a problem.

obviously tons of bike tire trailers are used everyday, not saying they are are'nt great and useful but if mud and swamp is involved wide tires rock.

At the very least use the tires off of a contractor grade wheel barrow. bushings and rod to fit are cheap and easy to find.