Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Westside California Bighorn Rams

Re: Westside California Bighorn Rams

Wicked pics Coach....I have wondered in the last couple years from seeing them frequently and seeing a decent # of rams, why don't they allow for an LEH on just one of the rams??...smarten them up a bit

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Wicked pics Coach....I have wondered in the last couple years from seeing them frequently and seeing a decent # of rams, why don't they allow for an LEH on just one of the rams??...smarten them up a bit
    Generally the population needs to be a minimim size before they consider a harvest of any kind. We just reached that stage with Ok Mtn park.
    Not sure where the population in the westside road herd stands right now?

SSS
    Last edited by Stone Sheep Steve; 12-17-2014 at 05:47 PM.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I'm sure the local outfitter is working on a plan for that already, Harry.. Of course, to get his blessing there would have to be enough to harvest 3 per year. I was gonna title this thread, "found $70,000 sitting on the side of Westside Road".

All kidding aside, I'm not sure a hunt would make a lot of sense in this location. Those animals are about as tame as they come, and live their lives along the road and on private property in people's backyards. It might be more prudent to use them to bolster other herds in different areas that aren't doing so well.
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Generally the populatin needs to be a minimim size before they consider a harvest of any kind. We just reached that stage with Ok Mtn park.
    Not sure where the population in the westside road herd stands right now?

SSS
    I've seen as many as 30 at a time - there was a big herd of young Rams, lambs and ewes south of bear main yesterday. I don't think it would be difficult to do a count on them. Might be a good idea to talk to our new bio - I know he was keen on my pics from last year.
    Resident Hunter

To post pics on HBC:

5- thank the Coach

Nice pics Coach. Looks like those rams are showing their Kamloops genetics. If roadkill is a major issue, you guys might want to approach the local clubs, BCWF, and WSSoBC to team up and start fundraising for some highway fencing. Should be a good HTCF investment as well. After several bad accidents with truckers and the Mt Paul herd, a fence was finally put up and has made a big improvement when it comes to sheep/vehicle interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Nice pics Coach. Looks like those rams are showing their Kamloops genetics. If roadkill is a major issue, you guys might want to approach the local clubs, BCWF, and WSSoBC to team up and start fundraising for some highway fencing. Should be a good HTCF investment as well. After several bad accidents with truckers and the Mt Paul herd, a fence was finally put up and has made a big improvement when it comes to sheep/vehicle interactions.
    problem is these sheep need water. Not sure if there are other watering holes other than ok lake?
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Thanks, Dana. It's fun photographing them. I'd like to talk to our local bio about the problems with the traffic along there - especially since the road is now being widened as part of an upgrade. Not sure what the vehicle mortality is on the herd, but I've seen a few limping over the years. I wonder if the cross in the picture was a result of someone plummeting off the cliff in an effort to avoid a collision with an animal? It would seem prudent to figure out solutions for the benefit of both wildlife and humans.
    Resident Hunter

To post pics on HBC:

5- thank the Coach

awesome pics!!!

Highway fence with wildlife overpasses , for the sheep and the deer
    It will never happen . Lots of other places with proven higher vehicle mortality
    And they want to improve the roadway so that more dumbass speeding drivers are safer.

Good pics Coach . That collection could be used in evidence one day .
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by justachip View Post
    Are these pics taken by Fintree? I was on a crew that relocated some from Kamloops and always wondered how they were doing?
    2003 ? I was at the release site .
    Most moved out soon after the release , not many left in the canyon , but they will be doing better after the fires .

When the Chasm herd reached 100 head , the leh was inititated. Gone now , along with the sheep , down to less than 20.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole