Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Media Request

Re: Media Request

I am hoping Big boar weighs in on this as I always like his approach to writing a balanced and well written response to topics such as this

LOL!! I had to think about it for minute to figure out who Bog Bore was....
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by reporter View Post
    Understandable, though my editor would like to keep specific details under wraps until we are ready to publish so I will have to stick to the same level of anonymity that most other people use on the site, sorry. I can tell you that I am a BC reporter, and though I don't hunt much of my family does and I do fish a lot.

As I mention before, I'm trying to get a better picture of how hunters feel about the grizzly hunt in BC and highlight some of the conservation work they do to balance the debate a bit. If any one who has killed a grizzly would like to tell me about what the experience meant to them I would be keen to learn more, likewise for those taking on conservation projects.

If you don't feel comfortable commenting you are, of course, under no obligation to do so. I do hope some recognize this as an opportunity to get their point of view in the press and included in the debate that is often dominated by the most outspoken, like the antis or guide outfitters association, but that is your choice.
    I think if we take your words as the truth, most people wouldn't have an issue commenting. The "anonymity" is a big concern and that likely isn't just for the members of the site but also for the owner (this is a forum owned by one individual) and moderators. If attention is drawn to HuntingBC.ca this could become a nightmare with all sorts of anti-hunters joining up to cause disturbances; sadly in this day and age people DO have that kind of time to push agendas and stir things up. The moderators could be in for FAR more work than they choose in trying to moderate this site "if" something like that happened.

I would highly suggest contacting Gatehouse or Elkhound who are moderators and have posted in this thread or Marc (that is his name AND username) who is the owner of this site. Marc may want no reference to his site directly in any articles and as "guests" on his forum I don't think we are in the position to speak on his behalf. There ARE nut-bars out there who could probably with a bit of sleuthing find out who he is and perhaps even harass him.

For all we know this could be a 'disguised' post to publish propaganda to fuel the "shut down the Grizzly hunt" campaign by any group such as Rainforest, Suzuki etc.

When looking at opinions as Sasqman stated above, who do you intend to cite as your sources? If I offered an opinion/comment, would I be cited as MB_Boy on HuntingBC.ca or just a 'member' of a BC Hunting Forum called Huntingbc.ca??

Just thought I would point that out. He and the moderators may be fine with it, but it is an avenue I would visit if in your shoes. I hope you can understand the reluctance and I think in fairness as others have expressed knowing the publication would certainly help. I think no matter what is published on this topic there will ALWAYS be polarization; no way to avoid it.
    Last edited by MB_Boy; 12-16-2014 at 04:10 PM.

I've seen grizzlies on hunting trips and non huntinh trips. Even seen them on fishing trips, trips to the gun range. Most of them are brown. Some have black on them. I also seen one in a river eating a fish.

I am guessing that if you were interested in some information, that you'd provide your name and which publication you are writing for? Same would go for any reporter conducting an interview I'm assuming.

I believe there would be a strong voice of people willing to talk and be heard, especially once they knew this. Guessing BCWF and some of the conservation groups such as WSSOBC, etc would be glad to comment as well once they knew which publication it was for.

There was a petition started a few years back showing the support of the grizzly bear hunt, and several organizations, individuals, and leaders of groups got involved and shared comments, posted thoughts, etc. I do believe that a strong voice showing support of the grizzly bear hunt and the reasons that its still easily defend-able in relation to being a wildlife management tool is a good thing. There are also several misconceptions about grizzly hunting and other forms of hunting in general, so I do think it would be great to have that information properly publicized.

Again, you'll see a bit of hesitation without knowing who you are, but if you are interested in getting in touch with some of those people, send me a PM and I can try to assist, as I'm guessing sharing your contact info/publication wont be an issue to the individuals you are interviewing.

Trevor Carruthers (just so you know who I am)

Here is a recent thread about the ethics of grizzly hunting
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...Ethics+grizzly
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...Ethics+grizzly
    the best thing we can do for grizzly bears is to make sure they have wild spaces and can move freely between populations.

Hunting grizzlies keeps them fearful of people which is good for both grizzlies and people. It is easy to see how animals react to hunting pressure by looking at National Parks vs areas that are open to people.

Interestingly, if you want to see a high mortality rate in grizzly bears, create a national park right in the middle of their habitat
    SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    I've seen grizzlies on hunting trips and non huntinh trips. Even seen them on fishing trips, trips to the gun range. Most of them are brown. Some have black on them. I also seen one in a river eating a fish.
    I bet you've even seen grizzlies smoking pot.
    I sure have.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Thanks so much for your response. Great points about the moderators, I hadn't considered that and will get in touch with them now.

While I appreciate the anonymity could be seen as suspicious, it's not specifically related to the topic in question. My editor just doesn't want to give too much information away on a public forum so other media sources don't pick up the story while we get ready to publish. A certain degree of confidentiality while you're working on a big piece is quite standard.

I'd be happy to clarify who I am and who Im writing for in a private message to the moderators. If they feel uncomfortable with the thread I'll respect their wishes and sign off.

As for my sources, I've been working on this feature for three months. I've done great interviews with all of the parties involved (guides, government, biologists, environmentalists, First Nations, etc.). Hunters as a general group are going to be underrepresented in the series, unfortunately, because I often get responses like the ones above when I approach them for a comment. I can assure you quotes will not be used selectively, for any of my sources. This series is not about me or my thoughts on the issue, it's about fairly presenting the reader with the audience with the thoughts of those involved.

An unwillingness to talk when antis are happy to comment every chance they get is only going to increase that polarization, something I'd like to reduce as I think it is damaging to all sides of the discussion - hence my original pitch to include a section about hunters and conservation. Lots of people care about the health of our environment in BC, hunters or not.

Beyond extending an honest offer for you to be involved in piece and held on an equal playing field with the comments given by the government and environmentalists there's not much I can do. Comment or not, no need to call me a slimy report, just trying to give you fair say here!

And there you have it. The first misquote of the piece....

Quote Originally Posted by reporter View Post
    no need to call me a slimy report
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Thanks so much for the links!

Good point about habitat, that's an issue that has come up a lot in my interviews.