Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still saving lives....

Still saving lives....

Was finishing cleani g the fly tying desk today when our 4 year old black lab came staggerring in obviously in distress making choking coughing ready to collapse indicatipns..since I was at the desk I reached for a set of haemostats and one of those flashlights for curing UV glue.
    I said TAAA..and opened Ebonies mouth ..there at the back of her throat was a large pink wad...It was the remenents of her Christmas pink flamingo knitted toy..as Ebony collapsed I was able to remove the offending obstruction...and her breathing came back in a large whoosh...and she peed....
    It took the better part of 15 minutes for her to recover and for me to realize what just happened...I didnt think I just reacted to the emergency....she is curled up next to me doing extremelly well.
    When I told Susan...I got hell for not watching Ebony more closely...
    Good thing Ebony trusts me and came to me when she knew all was not well, that Ebony was used to getting her mouth and teeth examined with the word TAA...the haemostats were handy as was the uv torch...hmmmm maybe all that practice on people was just training for looking after Ebony.
    The pink flamingo is toast...thankfully Ebony is just fine..
    Cheers
    Ebonies Dad

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Still saving lives....

That is an awesome story Srupp!
    Wow, so amazing how your training just took over.
    Hope you are well and glad the furry child is ok!
    Well done!
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Does that make you a Para"vet"ic now? Glad all turned out OK.
    Pretend hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by landphil View Post

Hmmm para vetic....sheeesh ...no stil
    Just one of Ebonies many admirers...just so glad I could hear her respiratory distress....yikes finding her Iin respitory...cardiac arrest woul have been much harder
    It was easy with her clinical presentation...thank goodness for the haemoststs as that wad was really stuck and way back...too fsr for my pudgy short sausage fingers..
    You never know what the day may bring..
    Steven

Nice work. Glad everything worked out in that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by landphil View Post
    Haha. Gatta love the groaners.

wow crazy story! thank goodness she came to you and that you were able to think quick on your feet. glad the doggy is ok!!
    See the swing...hear the ding!

That was a close call. I got bit once pulling a chop bone out of dogs throat.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Fantastic story Steve. Sure glad Ebony had faith in you and was able to make her way
    to you before collapsing. That's what it's all about....a dog and his master/buddy having
    complete trust and faith in each other. Ebony is a wonderful and beautiful dog...sure glad
    she's still with you and Susan.
    My first lab and I had a similar bond. He had a stick jammed into his eye socket and
    was able to make his way to me, sat leaning against my leg and looked up at me for help.
    I gently pulled it out and away he went, none the worse for wear fortunately.

Glad all turned out OK there Steve ! Good Job there Mr Para Vet ! Cheers RJ

Hmmmm groaners..lol could have ran outside grabbed neighborhood cat ...CAT SCAN..
    Didnt need it...already had the LAB results laying at my feet...
    Thanks guys..the world for Susan and I would have been much bleeker without our Ebony...hmmmm still amazed that she instinctivly came knowing we would be there...the rest was the result of a lifetime of dealing with emergencies...automatic...what a day....

Hmmm RJ ...Susan myself and Ebony are coming to 100 mile next week for a day trip to the big city..ya Exiter sporting store...maybe we could do coffee while Susan shops?
    Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 01-09-2015 at 10:39 PM.