Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gore tex sock liners

Re: Gore tex sock liners

Gore tex boots leak too I have never seen an actual waterproof leather boot and I have owned pretty much all the quality brands. The boots you are wearing are one of the best boots ever made wax them up real good with quality wax I recommend this stuff its hand down the best stuff on the market http://www.obenaufs.com/heavy-duty-l...y-duty-lp-8-oz
    I always bring a set on multi day hikes and if my boots get wet I use the gore tex socks and have nice dry feet in soaking wet boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Everett View Post
    Gore tex boots leak too I have never seen an actual waterproof leather boot and I have owned pretty much all the quality brands. The boots you are wearing are one of the best boots ever made wax them up real good with quality wax I recommend this stuff its hand down the best stuff on the market http://www.obenaufs.com/heavy-duty-l...y-duty-lp-8-oz
    I always bring a set on multi day hikes and if my boots get wet I use the gore tex socks and have nice dry feet in soaking wet boots.
    Awesome, ill try this out! Thanks
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Oh just a side note the Elk trackers are crap compared to what you are wearing they are heavy over warm pretty much a good boot for driving a quad or sitting in a tree stand.

Sorry but no matter how much wax is put on, when your in them for a week strait of torrential weather eventually the leather gets wet.
    Hunted and climbed with a pair of La sportia Makalu for the life of those boots, always had a pair of Goretex sock in the pack for when they got wet.
    Never had a problem with them , have spent up to a week in them in wet conditions before and kept dry socks the whole time.
    Love the Goretex socks

I have used gore tex socks a few times, they work but make my feet sweat like crazy. Irish settler are great boots! picked up the havocs and their one of the comfiest waterproof boots ive used. Awesome customer service to
    Timber Ghosts, Beware!

Hmmm recomend Meindles Canadas...outstanding waterproof, great ankle support...not for everyone as they are very stiff...
    Cheers
    Steven

I have a pair of Scarpa boots, keep them properly waxed and the water beads right off. 11 days sheep hunting in snow, creek and river crossings, never got wet feet. I had a pair of goretex socks I used for work when my work shoes sprung a leak, but my feet would sweat like crazy and by the end of the day the water seeped through anyways. My 2 cents.

Viberg sells a boot wax that is remarkably similar to Obenaufs and may be easier for you to get, the jar even looks the same. I've been using it on my Hanwags and Viberg work boots for several years with good results. I should say though, I take out the laces, wash the boots with saddle soap and clean the goop out of all the nooks and crannies, apply the wax generously, heat it lightly with a heat gun(carefully around the rand) until it has melted and soaked in then do it again and again until it stops melting in. I do that two or three times through the year. My boots rarely leak. My experience with gt sox is that, while they may or may not keep your feet totally dry, depending on conditions, they really help to make your feet warmer when damp, if that's a consideration.
    "Often the context of the question is lost in the answers."

Quote Originally Posted by Everett View Post
    I spent 85 days in the mountains this year and you are 100% correct, there is no such thing as a waterproof hiking boot. I became very frustrated buying boots that were touted as waterproof because of the Gortex liners,,,,,what a joke,,,JMO----Gortex is water-resistant not waterproof. My first pair was a Scarpa at $400 that was waterproof for 80 yards in wet grass, my 2nd pair was a Solo at $425 that stayed dry for 300 yards in wet grass,,,my final pair is a Meindl from Cabelas (Alaskan Guide Boot) that has kept me dry for about 4 hours in wet grass. Now for rainsuits,,,OMG