Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turning nocks

turning nocks

I want to spin the nocks on my carbon arrows a few degrees. The one hen vane is being interfered with by the rest, and I would like it pointing straight down. The rest is a two prong type. I would like to try turning a couple but I don't want to break them. What's the best way to do so?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: turning nocks

I had one that wasn't quite straight , so i carefully heated it up and turned it to where i wanted it.Worked fine have not had any problems.
    I'm just here to provide moral support......Hey nice (insert animal here)congrats.

In memory of you dad..."you always leave a campsite cleaner then when you found it"

There's only one thing in life that constitutes insanity..... continuing to do the same thing you have been doing but expecting different results.

On most carbon arrows the nocks are not glued in, there is a nock tool for turning such nocks, your archery shop should have one but if not pm me your address and I'll send you one. Some use their bowstring and others use a screwdriver or the likes, but that puts pressure on the " nock ears " and puts them out of aline or stesses them to the point where they break on the shot, thus dryfire. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT heat the nock as it changes the strenght of the plastic and will cause a broken nock at the most inopertune time and a dryfireing of the bow, give it time, it will happen.Nocks are cheap if you have to take it right off and put on a new one in the right place.If the nock on your carbon is a little loose and keeps moving put a dab of RUBBER CEMENT on it, turn it to the right spot and let dry, or take a plastic shopping bag put it around the base of the nock, push it into the shaft, trim off the extra, volia tight fitting nock that wom't turn.Aluminum tapered shafts, cut off the nock,throw away, glue on a new one in the right place, never reuse these nocks . their cheap, not worth a dryfire or worse.
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS

Do Not Heat The Nocks< Go To A Archery Store And Buy A Nock Adjusting Tool For About $1.00.
    GOOD FRIENDS TO HUNT WITH, FRESH AIR TO BREATH, THE B.C. OUTDOORS, BIG GAME AND BROADHEADS, WHAT A LIFE. MAY THE DESTINATION OF YOUR PROJECTILES REACH YOUR DESIRED POINT AND YOUR NEXT HARVEST BEST YOUR BEST TO DATE.

Bow Walker Guest

Good advice here tailgate......let us know how your fix works for you.

Thanks Eagle1 I recieved the nock tools today. I will give them a try tommorrow. I was out the other day and I am sighted in at 30 yards. I just have to work on my groups. 40 yards will have to wait for a while. I don't want to get in over my head. This goddamn sport is so addictive.

Bow Walker Guest

In a pinch you can use a flat bladed screwdriver for the job - providing the nocks aren't glued in.

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BowWalker
    In a pinch you can use a flat bladed screwdriver for the job - providing the nocks aren't glued in.
    I take that back! Don't use a screwdriver! A pair of pliers works far better. Just be careful not to squeeze too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by BowWalker
    I take that back! Don't use a screwdriver! A pair of pliers works far better. Just be careful not to squeeze too tight.
    You know what always use the right tool for the job and you will never have any trouble with things breaking when they shouldn't.

Just like using a little swiss army knife on an out of control tomato plant!! LOLOLOL
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS

Just like using a little swiss army knife on an out of control tomato plant!! LOLOLOL [/quote]

TOO FUNNY!! Bill you do have a sense of humor LOL!!
    Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces!