Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scouting and firearm question

Scouting and firearm question

Hi folks,
    i am definitely not a youth but i am a newbie to the world of hunting, no hunting licence yet and i just bought my first rifle. I wanted to ask about scouting an area in the summer and carrying firearms.

Do people bring their rifle along when they are scouting and it is not hunting season? I plan on going out this summer to scout out areas and am unsure about this.

I also want to say this is my favorite site, lots of great info and not a lot of nonsense.
    Thanks
    Andre
    PS- the rifle i just bought is a Marlin 336

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Scouting and firearm question

It's perfectly legal to do so, as long as you don't shoot anythign wihtout a HL.

Actually, it's not abad idea to take your rifle, to get you used to packing one around..
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Id pack it, but dont wear camo or have a deer call hanging around your neck Buy a hunting license in April anyways, and if stopped, tell them you're scouting and wanting to shoot the odd crow

welcome to HBC and hunting for that matter
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Wink Re: Scouting and firearm question

Hi Andre66,

My recommendation is spend the $32 bucks on a Hunting licence.

My take on the regs is that if you are a licenced firearm owner, and you are walking around in the bush with a rifle, if stopped by a Conservation Officer, he will correctly assume you are "hunting". Hunting means walking in the bush looking for game. You might have a hard time proving to him you are not hunting. The law is skewed in that it places the burden of proof on the person.

Even though you are just scouting, there are some species you can take in the summer. What if you saw a Coyote and wanted to try a shot ? If you don't have the hunting licence, you just have to watch him. The best part is you don't need to buy a tag for coyotes, skunk, raccoon, rabbits etc.

I 'd say get the licence. Why not ? You're going to get one for fall anyways, might as well be 100% legal and have one in your pocket. Then the C/O can't fault you.

Besides you could take a few Snowshoe Hares and or Raccoons etc as well. As Todd says, you can also shoot the odd Crow.
    Good way to practice your aim and skinning an animal.

I always renew my licence right away upon expiry in March. You can hunt spring Bear, Wolf, Coyotes and others. You can hunt predators in the winter-it never ends. You can always go out and practice on Squirrels any time. Great for Squirrel stew.

Better safe than sorry

Best of luck.
    Last edited by BearSniper; 01-25-2007 at 02:03 PM.

I always take a firearm in the bush. Usually a 12g, but I have also taken my hunting rifle for some range practice.
    It wouldnt hurt to get your HL in the spring though... it will make things easier of you get checked.

Getting your hunting license is a good way to avoid getting mistaken for a poacher.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

[quote=BearSniper]
    Besides you could take a few Snowshoe Hares and or Raccoons etc as well. As Todd says, you can also shoot the odd Crow.
    Good way to practice your aim and skinning an animal.

I always renew my licence right away upon expiry in March. You can hunt spring Bear, Wolf, Coyotes and others. You can hunt predators in the winter-it never ends. You can always go out and practice on Squirrels any time. Great for Squirrel stew.
    [quote]

I have a small question. People eat squirrels? and hunting bears, wolves, cayotes, racoons are used for skins/taxidermy right?

I've eaten squill. It can be good, but the little ones around here don't have alot of meat on them...

Bear requires that meat be recovered, there is no recovery regs with wolves or yotes.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Allways take a gun on a hike/scout.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

As the members above have said, get your licence and then take your rifle/shotgun with you.

Welcome to the site andre66!
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ