Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Lake ice fishing?

Re: Charlie Lake ice fishing?

fished off the golf course over the holidays....handful of walleye and a few perch...light biters in winter
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

I live in Charlie Lake and HATE the ice fishing!
    Catch walleyes all summer long, but just don't get any through the ice...
    In March the burbot fishing can be quite good! Tasty...

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    fished off the golf course over the holidays....handful of walleye and a few perch...light biters in winter
    What type of lures are good producers? Also would I be looking for structure in the 10-15ft of water? This fishery is new to me.

dont you just set up the tip ups with minnows 6 inches off bottom ...build a big fire and check the lines every so often...we used to call it "ice drinking" when we were teens...heheheh

I used to jig whitefish crankbaits, sometimes a shad rap. Did well enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyexcavator View Post
    What type of lures are good producers? Also would I be looking for structure in the 10-15ft of water? This fishery is new to me.
    Not much structure in Charlie, basically some small ridges and gullies along the west side (Golf Course) and some rock piles and such on the east side (Beatton Park). We use yellow or gold mister twister jigs or Rapala snap jigs.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    dont you just set up the tip ups with minnows 6 inches off bottom ...build a big fire and check the lines every so often...we used to call it "ice drinking" when we were teens...heheheh
    Minnows are illegal, so that won't work. Fire is good, so is enjoying some cold ones.....

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyexcavator View Post
    I fish deep in the day and shallow at dusk and dawn, I like 15-25' and fish tight to bottom....not a lot of visible structure but lots of drops, ledges, rock piles...basically any change in bottom contour is worth drilling a hole...I return to waypoints I've marked in summer, but the navionics app for Charlie is pretty accurate

small jigs, rapala jiggin raps, pk spoons, Swedish pimples, marmooska jigs, drop shot gulp minnows...and of course the trusty worm and split shot...meal worms and pieces of shrimp sometimes....it's generally slow in the winter but you get a fair share of hot bites if you stick it out long enough

i rely on my electronics quite a bit, not required but certainly help
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

I can't ice fish without my graph. It's absolutely THE most important tool on the hardwater. Not if your in 5 ft of water, in a tent looking down, but for any deeper water its a must.

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post

i rely on my electronics quite a bit, not required but certainly help

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterFSJ View Post
    I live in Charlie Lake and HATE the ice fishing!
    Catch walleyes all summer long, but just don't get any through the ice...
    In March the burbot fishing can be quite good! Tasty...
    I too have been in Charlie lake...not fishing mind you, but with my car. If it wasn't for the nice lady in the large log house up across the highway, I'd probably still be there. A memory of 1969. I didn't know everyone chained up in summer time when it got wet. I never got an opportunity to thank her, though her log house was just fab.

Dragon lake, just south of Quesnel was a great spot for ice fishing big (5+lbs) rainbows years ago. I'm not sure how time has treated that lake over the years. I recall that the beautiful fish were somewhat muddy flavoured.
    Last edited by Chuck; 02-09-2017 at 11:12 PM.
    They'll never end hunting...may make it illegal, but they'll never really kill that way of life!

Can anyone tell me when the ice is off charlie lake ?