Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Lake ice fishing?

Charlie Lake ice fishing?

Ice safe yet?

Any of you guys ice-fish for walleye there?

Going to be in Ft Saint John next week.

Thanks,
    Ted

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Charlie Lake ice fishing?

For some reason ice fishing pretty much sucks out there! Have never heard much positive about hard water action. I've been a few times and have yet to catch a fish, we catch lots from the boat though.

If you go let me know how you make out!
    Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards, hunt hard!

don't know of ice conditions yet, but I'd imagine it's safe by now

growing up in ON, charlie lake is one of my favourite lakes in BC/northern AB winter and summer

pm me your email and I"ll send you a map or two (they're on my old cell phone right now)

tiny jigs, the smallest jiggin raps, spoons all work...doesn't hurt to run a light leader, lots of pike around

never been skunked there, the bites are very light in winter and eyes hold tight to bottom, bottom 3-4', occasional suspend fish but not many in my experienc....fish shallow early and late under 10 fow, deeper during the day...look at a map and find points and drop offs (very easy to find)

can only fish one line...if you find a good spot where fish are holding, drill several holes, bounce around holes to get more bites

edit: cannot use fin fish for bait, dead or alive, or parts (kind of limits options for a tip up)
    Last edited by BRvalley; 12-04-2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: clarifying fin fish reg, bad wording

Ted: Head up to the golf course. You'll see the 'point' work out in that line both over the shallow ridge and north into deeper water. Those walleye are about the best eatin fish around. Males are pretty small but you can get some nice size females. The other spot would be at the south end boat ramp head up the east side of the lake past the manicured properties to where some bush and cliffs hit the shore. There is a small cove there with a couple houses set back. approx 100 yards off the shore you can clean up.

Charlie lake is in the top half dozen most productive walleye lakes in the country. No lunkers but once you find a school you can get a fry together pretty quick.

Not sure where you might find em but nothing beats an earth worm on a short leader below a small willow leaf (or a wedding band arrangement) above. fish just off the bottom. Super sharp #8 ish hooks. If you don't get action in short order move. If you do get action get your rig back down quick.

The above consistently outfishes every rubber/maggot/jig concoction I have seen fished there.

We used to fish 2 kids and a wife out there at dawn all summer until the flesh softened never came back with out a limit.

The other thing, and I have never seen it with my own eyes BUT, apparently there is exc perch fishing at the north end where the creek enters. If you have a sled might be worth checking.

If you want to have a chance at a nice fish thru the ice and can stand the drive down to One Island you 'd have a chance at some serious rainbows and respectable brookies.

The other thing is that the Peace R is right there....
    Last edited by northernsculler; 12-04-2014 at 06:11 PM.

I fished just south of the golf course point a few times with luck. Although I found it to be slow this time of year. Seemed to pick up throughout February and into March.

I mainly caught walleye, with the odd pike.

Hi Guys,

Been away for almost a month, and heading back home. Should be plenty of ice there now, eh?

Ted

-22 today and we just got 10" of snow...lots of ice!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

They are ripping on the ice track now so I'd say your safe. Didn't get much snow for a few weeks with cold temperatures. Snowed a bunch the other day so a bit of shovelling til you hit the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by P.J. View Post
    They are ripping on the ice track now so I'd say your safe. Didn't get much snow for a few weeks with cold temperatures. Snowed a bunch the other day so a bit of shovelling til you hit the ice.

Anyone been fishing out out there lately? Any reports? I'm heading up that way in a week or so.

Yep lots of people out on the ice
    was 12-14 inches a couple weeks ago and it's been cold since then
    went out 1hr before dark caught 2 lost 4
    not big but good eating 1.5lbs walleye