Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walltent chimney location?

Re: Walltent chimney location?

This how we do our stovepipe. The wooden cross-piece has a lenth of wire running under the chimney for support. DON'T forget to sheet metal scew the pieces of stove pipe together. They can pull apart in a heavy wind.

Like K-1 we have two tents aswell both 16x21, they go back to back with a walk through flap between them. One wood stove on each side, sleeping side and kitchen side. There is usually around 12 of us that go on the trip so this setup is quite roomy.

I have used various designs, Military modular that goes through the roof, rear wall up near the peak and beside the door.

Never had much of a problem with any of them although I prefer having it beside the door. We use the crossed sticks and wire just like canadamoose1 and it works great. As noted already a pipe through the roof can get in the way if you want to add a tarp/fly.

Take a look at http://www.atuktents.com/ I have a 12x15 that I have only used once, I love the tent but I am thinking of upgrading, if anyone here is interested I'll sell it for the $600 I paid for it and I'll eat the tax and shipping I paid.

Cheers
    Rod

My only caution would be..... Dont Locate the chimney out the wall near the front door. Last year I stayed in a tent that had the chimney locate out the front wall near the door. It made for a couple of burn accidents, bumping your forehead on something metal is bad enough but when it's a smoking (no pun) hot stove pipe, its all the worse. Took a couple of weeks for my buddies burn to heal. Not to mention having to explain the wound to every single one of his co-workers and customers.

So..... Chimney pipe out the side AWAY from the door.

Otherwise.....You gotta love haveing a nice toasty tent..

Own 2 tents , one out the roof and one out the side wall, never had problems, the one out the roof is at the front of the tent which means I can still tarp 3/4 of the tent for extreme weather. Both are exterior poles which is nice.

I picked up an oval stove and ran the chimney straight up through the roof.Asheet metal collar I so carefully made was left beside the truck at home-but when we camped, we found a discarded burned out oval stove behind camp that the lid was still good, so with a hammer and nail I was able to tap out a circle for the stove pipe.I've got to say I was impressed-we only have an 8x12 walltent, so got the 18'' oval stove,and it held a fire until about 3am, when I have to go outside anyway.

If the chimney goes out the back wall a fly can be used to cover the tent with no leaks, as mentioned before, the beauty of this is the fly sheds the snow so much better and can extent infront of the tent to give a veranda effect.

makes sense to me
    Hunt with your eyes...save your legs for draggin....

I have a 14X16 and the pipe is near the door going through the roof on the left side.I also have a tarp to cover the roof so that the snow slides off as it does not slide well on canvas.