Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walltent chimney location?

Walltent chimney location?

Hey Guys,
    My Question of the week is this. In a walltent, should the chimney be located
    through the roof or through the wall? I can see pros and cons for both. The walltent companys I have looked into dont talk to much about this feature.
    I think the placement of the stove pipe could lead to a poorly vented chimney
    (poor drafting) or potentially a leaking roof.
    Any horror stories out there?
    I stayed in a walltent twice, one time good, one time smoky. I have not stayed in a walltent with the stove pipe through the roof. The thought of cutting a hole in the roof, that would compromise the waterproof ability of the structure does not make sense to me.
    Does anyone have two stove rings in a tent? This would make placing the tent easier, with regards to wind direction and access to the front door.
    I kind of like the idea of having options as far placing the tent. Maybe one
    ring on the front wall and one at the back? Just use which ever one suits your needs that hunt. Just relocate the stove rather than find a new location for the tent.
    These are just some questions that have come up since I posted a request
    for hunting camp pics. Once again,thanks for any input. HD

2. Site Sponsor

bone-collector Guest

Re: Walltent chimney location?

you can do pretty much what you want to most walltents, usually you have to order the extras (windows/meshing/pipe holes etc) seperate from the base tent, some companies offer preformed ready to go tents , as for roof leeking we have never had a major isue with it in the ones we use guiding , mine has the out the back pipe hole , being smoked out would sound like a damper issue, I would try opening it up a bit and letting it burn a little faster, but then this gets alot hotter inside as well, another feature we have used is carosine heaters and dont zip the front door just leeve it open a bit for ventalation, even in the winter you will still be cozy warm, downfall everything smells like fuel in the tent , I can say I ever buy another walltent it will be a external frame tent not an internal, what a pain in the rearend to put up , especialy if you have to build the frame from logs

bone-collector Guest

and buy a chunk of artifitial turf carpeting as well for flooring around doorway and beds, (I hate gravel in my sox in the morning )

MY buddy had his ring installed in the back wall of the tent
    His is a 12X14 and is great for 2 guys and their gear
    The bunks can be positioned on either side near the rear corners running down the sides with the stove inbetween the two.
    This leaves lots of room at the front door area and you dont need to worry about the roof leaking through the ring hole or not being able to cover completely with a tarp or tent-fly.
    Ther frame is an internal on with cutouts at the peak so an extention piece can be put on to tie and secure the outside part of the stove pipe.the hloe is near the peak of the tent so most of the stovepipe is internal and wont run the risk of blowing around if there is a breeze.

I've got a 12x14 walltent with the stove ring located in the roof (1/3 of the way up the roof pitch) on the right side as you enter the tent. When the stove ring is not in use, a flap (with velco strips) covers the opening. Being an HVAC tradesman, I'd state the roof mount allows for better draft and no worry of wind direction as to a wall mount.

b-c the turf carpeting is a must .... less cleaning and cleaner feet...mine has a floor. Never had problems with being smoked out...have used a kerosene heater also and the smell is usually only shortly when turning it off and start-up.

I've got some pics of it from this years moose hunt and will post when film is done.

we have a 12x14 wall tent, we have the stove going out the back right. the ring was placed in the roof but we changed it. We found the stove beening right in the middle of the tent and always being in the way. The tent has a internal frame. We bring in 3/4 tongue and groove and 2x4's to support the floor. We cut shimes out of logs to raise and level the floor. I will post some pics.

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

The general rule of thumb is the convergence of 3 feet from the front wall and 3 feet up the roof or of course at the back wall if you have no rear window.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

as long as you have a long chimney it will create a vacume . in the tent we use (14X16) the stove is at the front lleft side , and we also have astro turf for floors

we have two tents, 9X12,and a 16X18 .The chimney's are on the front wall, left of the door .In the big one we cover 1/2 the back floor for sleeping, the front part we have the wood stove,kitchen box,eating table,chairs and food storage box's.
    "Hunting" is selective harvesting of organically grown, free ranging meat, achieved by placing a good bullet in a vital spot. !!!

Mine is 10' x 20'. Keep stove at one end,have a large piece of tin the sits out about 2" from the tent wall. Main thing we found is have it by the door as it draws in air for combustion and if its away from the door you will get drafts.

Have indoor/outdoor carpet for the floor. Comfey