Thread: corkscrew arrow

corkscrew arrow

I've got an arrow that corkscrews in the air and hits low. I've had alum. do that when bent but this is a brand new carbon. The vanes look good and I'm pretty sure its not bent being carbon; any ideas?
    I've hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: corkscrew arrow

Is it just one arrow doing this?? If so unfortunatley it could just be the arrow. Every now and then you will run into an arrow that just won't group with the rest, that is why it is a good idea to number your arrows. If it is an arrow with a feild point you can try replacing the nock, re-fletching, pull insert and swap ends....if none of that works then your probably SOL. If it is a broadhead tipped arrow the insert was probably not installed square so you can pull the insert and re-install.

Hope this helps
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Bow Walker Guest

Numbering your arrows is one of the first things that you should do. It allows you to keep track of the flight characteristics of specific arrows and to isolate problems.

I had an arrow that was doing the same thing. I noticed it at the last 3D shoot (in Nanaimo). Yesterday I went to the range and verified that it was the same arrow - #6 and I was able to find the problem. It was me.

It was one of my first attempts at fletching my own arrows and what I had inadvertently done was to not get the vanes in their proper place around the circumference of the shaft.

Sure, the helical setting was right - but the placement was off. The vanes were not equi-distant in their spacing. The result? A noticeable corkscrew in flight. It was only noticeable at distances past 30 yds though. But that was enough to make me rip off the offending vane and re fletch the shaft.

Might be that this is your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc
    Is it just one arrow doing this?? If so unfortunatley it could just be the arrow. Every now and then you will run into an arrow that just won't group with the rest, that is why it is a good idea to number your arrows. If it is an arrow with a feild point you can try replacing the nock, re-fletching, pull insert and swap ends....if none of that works then your probably SOL. If it is a broadhead tipped arrow the insert was probably not installed square so you can pull the insert and re-install.

Hope this helps
    Chris
    could be the arrow, I've had a bent carbon. you could also try tunning the nock one third { to the next fletch } to see if it shoots, if not turn it again one third , if it still don't shoot into the group, it is proable the arrow as Willy said.
    Should always # your arrows, then group tune them to make sure they all fly in to the same group,makes it easier to pick out the flyer/s if its the same # all the time.
    Last edited by Eagle1; 03-21-2007 at 09:19 PM.
    New 2011 PSE Omen Pro
    56/29 340 fps
    VICTORY ARROWS

Stop opening your beers wiht your arrows
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!