Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PICKLED SALMON Recipe for Christmas time

Re: PICKLED SALMON Recipe for Christmas time

Was doing some research on cold smoking. The preparation is the same as this pickling method. Some online feel there is a possible food safe issue as the fish is never cooked and that the salting process doesn't kill all possibly present bacteria or parasites. The vinegar mix may negate any issue with pickling vs cold smoking though but thought I would throw it out there. I loved roll mops and am going to give this a whirl but don't want a 20ft tape worm trying to crawl out my butt in the weeks to come.
    Last edited by BuckEye; 12-08-2014 at 08:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by john.b View Post
    i would be sending my kid to school with a real hockey stick, baseball bat and a bag full of peanut butter sandwiches

guest Guest

Personally, never had an issue with " said tape worm " butt, no pun intended over the years of pickled herring and salmon, if I ever got one from this, it would just make hungry ........ Maybe that's why I can't stop eating it.

All in fun

CT

vancouver island for now .. soon on a peice of paridise in quesnel

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    yes, melted, actually I should have said boil the mix of vinegar, water, sugar and spices together as it brings out the flavour better. But this mix is then allowed to cool before poring it over the Fish. I'm no cook and just thought people would do it . Give er a shot, the most important step is to cover the fish with salt, coarse pickling salt and make sure it's firm, kind of tough feeling, this takes place of any cooking process. This is why I salt big spring for at least 2 days, thinner smaller fish like sox and coho a good heavy salting for a day at least. ENJOY everyone! I just jarred another batch today : ))

CT
    thanks......

Fillets just thawed and I'm about to start the process. Looking forward to some tasty holiday salmon treats. 1 sockeye fillet and 1 thicker spring portion to try this out for the first time.
    Has anyone tried slicing the cured product into strips and wrapping it around a pickle (ala roll mop) or some other fill prior to the pickling process. Probably unneeded by the sounds of it but looking for something more horderves to feed to guests.
    I'll post the results when done.
    Quote Originally Posted by john.b View Post
    i would be sending my kid to school with a real hockey stick, baseball bat and a bag full of peanut butter sandwiches

guest Guest

Hi Buckeye, I like small cubes but wifey likes it sliced thinner after pickling to put on crackers but hey, Have at er man. Try the wrap on the pickles. My herring roll mops go into the jars tomorrow, smoked spring is in the racks drying before smoking, also tomorrow. Lox is on da way too. Be sure to salt heavy and allow salt enough time to get through the full thickness of the fish. Big ..... big spring, salt longer for sure, texture should be very firm, NOT mushy at all.

Good luck with it and enjoy.

CT

Thanks for the recipe CT.. Being Christmas eve, I will be serving some that I made last weekend to some friends and family.
    I have sampled it (rather heavily) and this stuff is great!!
    Semper in excretum altum

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brno22F View Post
    Thanks for the recipe CT.. Being Christmas eve, I will be serving some that I made last weekend to some friends and family.
    I have sampled it (rather heavily) and this stuff is great!!
    Great to Hear Brno 22F

Yup we will be having our fill over the next Week or so thats for darn sure ! I did, Lox, Smoked Salmon and Pickled herring too.

Merry Christmas to you !

I would think that if you are using previously frozen fish that you wouldnt have to worry to much about parasites and such as the freezing process would take care of that,This stuff taste great,Just for a experiment i did some halibut to,hvnt tried it yet.It may be good or bad.

guest Guest

Both my freezers go to minus 20 c so never had an issue , not ever before that either. Mind you I wouldn't like to do it all the time with fresh fish ...... May be asking for it then

glad lots enjoy it ..... A great Christmas treat ... Ah heck all year haha

So made my first batch last weekend. Just curious, do u ever have jars that are a little cloudy? Some of mine are clear, and some are a little cloudy. Maybe the lemon fermenting a bit? Thoughts?

Thanks for the recipe BTW.

Paul