Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PICKLED SALMON Recipe for Christmas time

guest Guest

PICKLED SALMON Recipe for Christmas time

3 pounds of Salmon ( your choice of type ) Sox is best 3 cups pickling vinegar,2 cups of water,1 1/4 cups of white sugar,3 tbsp pickling spice,3 cloves chopped garlic,3 tbsp. chopped ginger,2 med sliced lemon, 2 med sliced onion. Pour Coarse Pickling salt over filleted Salmon, skin on, cover well with salt, place in a container and allow salt to work its way through thickness of salmon, I did 2 days of salt over fish, if its big spring do 2 days, smaller fish like Sox or Coho, 1 day is fine. Rinse off salt. Remove skin, soak in fresh cold clean water about 1/2 hour. Fish should feel firm or tough not mushy or the salt has not soaked through enough. Slice into bite size pieces, layer Salmon, onion and 2 slices of lemon, in jars. Pour cold mixture of ingredients with sugar melted over the fish to 1/2 inch of top of jar. Place lids on, put in fridge, and try it in about 4 days. try to see if ya can make it last till Christmas ..... not likely. Will last about 4 months ...... YUMMY ! CT
    Last edited by guest; 11-21-2014 at 06:07 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: PICKLED SALMON Recipe for Christmas time

That sounds really nice, can I pop over to your place for a sample?

Is is there still fish around?
    One rifle - one planet - Holland's 375.

People are like balls of yarn, for the most part they are boring and useless - but I still get a lot of pleasure watching them unravel!! (GC)

Gods own country

guest Guest

Always fish around if ya know where to find em ......... R u going to bring Some Hottie dressed like Santa's helper ?? I hope she's hungry hahaGive it a try its a tasty one !CT

Just to add to CT's post if any of you guys have never tried pickled salmon you are missing something.
    Don't think pickled herring because it's not even close.
    Pickled salmon is firm, not fishy and like he says a real treat a xmas. I used to bring a few quarts to elk camp every year and they would go fast.
    I'd definitely recommend trying this recipe if you haven't before.
    I'm going to the dogs.
    Airy Mtn. Airedales

guest Guest

Gave a number of Jars away, and I ate too much .... more on the go now though : ))

I'm going to try this.One question tho, do you slice the lemon and put the rind and everything in?

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by randymac View Post
    I'm going to try this.One question tho, do you slice the lemon and put the rind and everything in?
    Randy, yes I do, I layer a couplef slices of onion then fish, onion then fish but have only 2 or 3 slices of Lemon overall in the entire jar, one bottom one top or so. Rind and all ! I use 500 ml jars , if your using 1 lt. Jars use more lemon . Let us know what ya think. It goes fast, next up.......

Lox ...... Garlic dill, and slightly smoked but not cooked Lox, or it ain't Lox Gotta love that past Sockeye run : ))

CT
    Last edited by guest; 12-07-2014 at 10:43 AM.

vancouver island for now .. soon on a peice of paridise in quesnel

thanks for the recipe .... gonna try it..just a question .. when you say melted sugar do u mean dissolved?
    thanks again
    Last edited by thunderheart; 12-07-2014 at 04:17 PM.

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thunderheart View Post
    thanks for the recipe .... gonna try it..just a question .. when you say melted sugar do u mean dissolved?
    thanks again
    yes, melted, actually I should have said boil the mix of vinegar, water, sugar and spices together as it brings out the flavour better. But this mix is then allowed to cool before poring it over the Fish. I'm no cook and just thought people would do it . Give er a shot, the most important step is to cover the fish with salt, coarse pickling salt and make sure it's firm, kind of tough feeling, this takes place of any cooking process. This is why I salt big spring for at least 2 days, thinner smaller fish like sox and coho a good heavy salting for a day at least. ENJOY everyone! I just jarred another batch today : ))

CT
    Last edited by guest; 12-08-2014 at 08:44 AM.

I followed your recipe about a week ago. made four pint jars. None left to give away. I've got more salmon in the freezer so I'll be making more. It is excellent. Thanks.
    There's a time to hunt, and then there's a time to hunt time to hunt.