Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parts is parts - looking for wings

Parts is parts - looking for wings

Anyone in the Vancouver area willing to save me some wings so I can use them to train my dog? Happy to provide a 6 pack...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Parts is parts - looking for wings

What kind of wings? Duck work?

I can have some wings for you this sunday after our hunt but just curious what is the law regarding someone possessing an animal part without waterfowl license. I dont know can someone shed some light on it.

If all good then i can put them in the freezer for you till your ready

Awesome! Duck will work. Would love to get some grouse as well.

Good thinking on the possession question. We can write a 'receipt' so if I get stopped by someone I can show that it was a gift from someone that legally harvested the animal. I'm not so familiar with the laws up here but in the US it's generally ok to possess game that was given to you if you have a letter stating it was given to you. I've been in possession of more than my limit several times with just such a letter - but, then again, I've never been stopped either.

I'm game for bringing the dog along on a hunt anytime too. She's only 3 months old and certainly wouldn't do much but would love to get her exposed.

Let me know where and when and i'll pick up the birdie parts.

Your dog is way too young to be around gunfire. Get her exposed properly before you end up with a gun shy dog!

There are right ways and wrong ways to expose a pup to gunfire, we start our pups as soon as they start getting excited over feeding time. There have been a number of threads outlining the proper procedure, to take a 3 mo old un initiated pup to a duck blind is asking for a gun shy dog. Don't rush it do it right, Proper training is not a hurry up thing do it slow do it right and have a hunting partner that will last a life time.
    As for permit to have wings I don't think anything is necessary every fly tier has a pile of waterfowl and upland wings in their possession as do most dog trainers.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Xfactor and Foxton are on point. save your self and your dog a barrel of grief. Condition it to the gun properly or not at all, done right it will be more than ready for next season. Good luck ladm enjoy your new hunting companion.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

Hey guys. Thanks for the good advice. I would NEVER put her in a duck blind. Hell, I don't think I could sit there for a couple hours without a gun in my hand.

But, if someone is going out to pop grouse with a 22 (as I've read some posters here talking about) I would consider taking a hike with the dog.

Even a 22 at close range can be trematic for a pup that is not expecting it. Check out my post here http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ghlight=gunshy
    It will give you a rough outline of what you should be doing. feel free to PM me for my # if you want to chat about the correct method of 'gunbreaking"
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Thanks Foxy. Good advice. And what you have on the link is what I've read elsewhere. I would already be trying to expose her - but I live in the city. I wonder what my neighbors would do if at 8am and 5pm I was shooting off blanks. Might be kinda fun to figure out.

The dog is retrieving dummies. Is pretty good on sit, come, etc. She still needs tons of work but I'm VERY impressed. For a 3 month old dog that never had any kind of instruction until less than 2 weeks ago - she's doing damn well. I couldn't expect any more from her.

And - PS - she's a damn good pet too.